NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Magellanic Clouds

bus_ter

After my first attempt (see: http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/163467-do-these-have-name.html ) I've had another go at these.

I decided to try and stack some images. I downloaded Deep Sky stacker and used it to add 6 x 20s exposures. I exposed for 20s because that was the limit before star trails formed. I don't have a tripod/mount here so I literally sat my camera on the grass pointing upwards!

After I first ran DSS the galaxies completely dissapeared and I was left with just stars and pure black. Trying to post process adjust the levels in DSS was far too slow, so I saved the image and opened in PS. After raising the brightness the Galaxies popped back, and here are the results.

Can anyone give me advice on how to get better results through DSS? I used all the default options and added the 6 original RAW files into the program. I also took a dark with the lens cap on. Though that shot was pure black so I don't think it was any use.

I was wondering if processing the RAWS with PS lens profiles first (to remove Chromatic abberations, lens distortions etc) and then use DSS would be better?

post-21223-133877694555_thumb.jpg

Amazing shots for a camera sitting on the ground ;)

I too would love to spend more time (some) down south!!

I wouldn't worry too much about improving the view in DSS. DSS will stack the images - ideally processing should be done in PS or GIMP.

My autosave files when viewing them in DSS are almost completely blank - albeit for a few stars.

The magic happens in PS!

ant

Well done Buster - for lying the camera on the ground and taking only 20s shots, you've done well to get that. Similar to how I started out in the hobby 4 years ago although I did have a tripod.

1. Your dark may look black, but it will contain noise data that is being subtracted from your image when you stack in DSS so it will be helping. Taking more darks will help - I'd recommend you take about ten - load them all when you use DSS - it will create a stack of the dark file.

2. You don't mention flats - they would really help your image by removing the vignetting that I can see. Point your camera at an evenly illuminated target such as a grey sky or a white piece of card - you're aiming to get the histogram curve about half way across the graph for the flats that you take. Best thing to do is read up on this forum about flats.

3. More subs would help. Only 6 subs will limit the amount of data that can be extracted. Try taking more - I appreciate that you're limited by lying the camera on the ground but try taking 20 subs for instance.

Keep at it

Regards

John

Archived