Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Interesting Comparison of 5mm eyepieces

John

That would be me that bought the ep John

Congratulations - it's a great eyepiece :icon_salut:

As I hope you can tell from the above report, I felt that the differences between it and much more expensive alternatives are barely perceptible under good seeing conditions and non-existent 90% of the time.

Is it with you yet by the way ?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No not yet John post is always a bit slower this time of year

Hopefully I will get a chance to use it Saturday having never tried an ortho I'm not sure if I will like the smaller fov and tight er but thought I should at least give it a try

Just received the ep John thank you.

Not sure what it is about ortho's but they just look like they mean business

Excellent :icon_salut:

Once you have had a chance to put it into action please post your experiences with it :)

I can vouch for the quality and performance of the Mononcentric design.

I was lucky enough to pick up a 6mm Zeiss Monocentric about thiry years ago...it's been with me ever since!

Sure the FOV is small, but so what? When you're looking at the Moon/ Planets/ double stars at the magnification it gives you, you don't need a large FOV.

Well worth considering if your into double stars etc......

Interesting review. Based on this I think I will proceed with my plan to go the Delos route: more eye relief and very sharp, rather than go the Monocentric route or the Ortho route (again, I used to have a couple of Circle-T Orthos). Apparently modern multi-group designs can (in most cases) match the 1 - 2 group designs of yore. Eye relief was the main reason for my to switch to Vixen LV and later Radians.

Tried the ortho last night and it is a wonderful crisp view what was most surprising for me was that my barlowed 9mm es 100* was just as good I couldnt really see any real difference. Of course the es was more comfortable to use with better er

I will now be weighing up whether I will be keeping the ortho if I don't think I will use it I think its better that it goes to a good home where it will be used

I'm glad you are pleased with the Ortho's performance :icon_salut:

I found a similar situation when I compared my 8mm Ethos barlowed with a 1.6x Antares barlow to the Ortho and the TMB Monocentric. I'm keeping a 1.25" set of high power eyepieces for now as sometimes I'd rather not deal with the bulk of the Ethos / Barlow combination but it's amazing how these quality multi-element eyepieces can deliver ortho matching performance.

It's up to you of course but I find it's best to have a few sessions under varying conditions before making my mind up finally on comparative performance.

No probs if you decide to move the ortho on though - thats how I do things - nothing like finding out for yourself, if possible :)

Archived