NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Light pollution map of UK

mert

just to put a quantative opinion accross - here in reading im in a pink spot (please, no puns...) but back home (bovingdon, hemel hempstead) im in a yellow one.

there is a MASSIVE difference between the two levels. Here it is appalling. back home its pretty dark.

Likewise, at home in Crewe my house sits on the boundary of orange and yellow which means that when conditions are right my skies are dark enough for some good observing, but there is still loads of LP present.

On the other hand my nan's house is in a small village in Shropshire in a cyan/green zone and the difference is staggering. The MW is much more clearly visible on clear nights and several clusters/messiers are visible to the unaided eye.

And then there's my holiday spot in Wales in a black zone and you can imagine what the skies are like there, especially when you get away from the newly installed street light on the campsite!

I have uuber dark skies within 20 mins drive from my house but i really do not want to be there alone at night. Wild animals dont scare me. i doubt i'd come across another human but the thought of it scares me.

I could be mugged,raped, beaten to death etc.

Maybe i should try it once and bring my 4 yr old Yorkie as protection. She worships the ground i walk on and would scare the bejaysus out of anyone who gets too close to me.

I have uuber dark skies within 20 mins drive from my house but i really do not want to be there alone at night. Wild animals dont scare me. i doubt i'd come across another human but the thought of it scares me.

I could be mugged,raped, beaten to death etc.

Too true - man is the most dangerous animal on the planet. Best not to go to an unfamiliar observing site on your own.

Too true - man is the most dangerous animal on the planet. Best not to go to an unfamiliar observing site on your own.

Especially if you're a woman. If you're a bloke n a bit handy with yourself then you should be ok, maybe take a tyre wrench or somethign in your pocket just incase.

Archived