NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Choice of red dot finder

Telrads have 3 concentric red rings instead of a dot. These rings are 4 degrees, 2 degrees and half a degree in diameter against the sky. This makes star hopping easier. An alternative is the Rigel QuikFinder which has a smaller footprint on the scope and has 2 rings.

I have two Rigels and I like them very much. They have a smaller footprint and are higher than the Telrad unless you use the Telrad riser block accessory. Having said that, the 3 rings of the Telrad makes it a bit easier to hop larger distances without bright stars.

I don't think is much between them and you won't feel short changed whichever you choose.

I originally chose the Rigel because I put the first one on a little 150P and the Telrad is the same size as the scope (well...almost) also FLO stocked the Rigel not the Telrad. But I have never regretted getting this one for a minute.

A Telrad is better???? Popular granted, possibly even common, but not better :eek:

I've used the Telrad plugin with Stellarium and also printed off Telrad charts of various targets. Neither have inspired me to replace my simple, elegant, not to mention cheaper and oh so effective, red dot finder.

Telrad - boxy horrible things!

:D

I take to heart about sitting on the ground with the Telrad. I could only wish that there was a right angle finder that had those concentric rings and a 1X view of the sky at the same time. Does that Rigel do that ? I have not heard of them. Are they sold on this side of the pond ? Forgive my ignorance.

Jim S.

I take to heart about sitting on the ground with the Telrad. I could only wish that there was a right angle finder that had those concentric rings and a 1X view of the sky at the same time. Does that Rigel do that ? I have not heard of them. Are they sold on this side of the pond ? Forgive my ignorance.

Jim S.

There is indeed a combined dew shield and right angle finder for the Telrad, IMHO not very effective because you only get a limited FOV.

I have a telrad which I have been very happy using with a Skymax 127 with which it works fine as the tube is fairly short.

I've just got an Evostar 80 and the Telrad is proving a little more awkward when the tube is pointing near vertical.

I do like the way you can use the Telrad with both eyes open.

...I've just got an Evostar 80 and the Telrad is proving a little more awkward when the tube is pointing near vertical......

You can put the Telrad anywhere on the tube - it does not have to be down the eyepiece end. Halfway along the tube works well for long refractors.

Archived