Sky Watcher 250P DS

When i have this set in the home position mounted on a NEQ6 Pro Mount, so the weights are hanging over the north facing leg, is there a position for the Focuse'er and Finder to be situated. like sticking out to the left or right of the scope when viewed for the rear and can the position be altered once the scope is aligned twisting round say 90-180 degree's to suit a better viewing angle..

You are aligning the mount basically, not the scope itself. The only concern is the you have the focuser in a comfortable position when checking the alignment stars, that's the difficult bit, it means turning the OTA in its tube rings. This is the only pain with a EQ mounted reflector.

I have a 200 DPS and have fitted a large cushioned 'jubilee clip' just above the top scope clamp. All I do is slacken the two clamps screws and rotate the tube to a comfortable position without loosing the 'target'.

Ron

It may be worth mentioning that it is important where the focuser is situated as this effects balance of the scope to a degree.

It's all very well spinning the OTA to a more comfortable position but this effects balance and balance effects the performance of the mount to track accurately. If you are a visual only observer each EP change shifts the balance point so if your rotating the OTA as well then the balance of the OTA is going to be totally off. Views are very much split on this point and there are plenty who are happy with using steps and plenty others happy rotating the OTA. The possibility of any undue wear and tear on the mount is my concern and I make do with using steps to get to those awkward focuser positions. Not to mention I never risk the OTA slipping out the rings, getting scratched or losing alignment.

Archived