Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Televue 8mm plossl

jasonp

Anyone havr any experience with these? I'm looking to expand my current selection on a budget.

Currently have

32mm omni plossl celestron

13mm Hyperion

9mm skywatcher uwa

6.3mm skywatcher plossl

5mm tmb clone

As you can see I have a good selection but want to have good quality ones.

Or should I just get another Hyperion.

Will be using 200p scope

Cheers

are you happy with the eye relief of the 6.3mm plossl?

if so I find the 7mm Baader Genuine Ortho much easier to use eye relief wise than even an 11mm TV Plossl. the 9mm BGO is also one of my favourite eyepieces. for about £50 used they are hard to beat.

Hi Jasonp,

The only questionable one there is the SW plossl. Hyperions have agreat rep so dont diss your kit :-).

From your list it looks like you need something around 20mm for low - mid range and a good barlow.

Cheers

Just nebbed Moonshanes comments as crossed in ether, echo his good advice

I'm steering towards a 6 or 7mm bgo now I've always seen good things about them.

They are optically really excellent (I'm using both tonight on Jupiter :D) but they do have the orthoscopic characteristics of a smallish eye lens, 40 degrees field of view and shortish eye relief - no worse than plossls in that last respect though. If you can live those factors then I reckon you would have to pay £ hundreds to get better optical performance, and even then it would be only marginally better.

Dont like the idea of the tuning rings and this is really to replace the 6.3mm and the 9mm uwa which are cheaper in comparison. Maybe im just trying to spend money for no reason.

The more i think about it the more a TV Nagler 7mm appeals.

Archived