Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observation site rethink

jasonp

Hi Jason

I was just wondering what the problem was at Wrest Park? Do you think it would be worth emailing them (as I'm a member) to try and get permission would make any difference.

I'm assuming you wanted to use the area adjacent to the house entrance and not actually inside the grounds.

Garry

I used to live in Harpenden and often set my old Vixen 102 refrac up in a small section of grass just passed the mobile home site at the top of Bowers heath lane. The green was just passed the cottage on the left at the junction with the Kimpton road.

There was also a large opening in the woods about a further 50 yards up, which was ideal for anything over-head.

One word of warning... it's worth notifying the local police if you are planning on observing there... One year ('89 I think it was) a few of us from the Stevenage AS arranged a session to observe one of the HZR meteor showers. There were around half a dozen or so of us all sitting on deckchairs or with scopes and the locals had reported "strange going on's in the woods" - result several patrol cars turning up at midnight "raiding" the site !! - they were quite disappointed to find it was all quite innocent !

Just used Google maps to get this image of the site on the right... It was more open when I last visited it... but that was 20 years ago :D:eek:

post-23388-133877691196_thumb.jpg

post-23388-133877691208_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Finding a dark site in this area is difficult.

Have you thought of trying a reservior site like Wilstone near Aston Clinton on the B489. See Google map.

It has a car park suitable for 12 to 15 cars.

I am off to the Cumbria Star Party 4 in Longtown next week.

I will see if a friend of mine would like to try Wilstone Reservior when I get back from Cumbria.

The light rating for Wilstone Reservior is about 4.63 on the Need-less light pollution site (Wrest Park has the same rating).

The rating for the Cumbria site is 5.40 and the Galloway Star Party is 6.24 (great for the Milky Way) and the SGL 7 event near Hereford is 5.17, to give an idea of the level of darkness.

If any of the group would like to join me in the dry run please let me know and we can arrange a suitable time.

Need clear skies soon!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers

Adrian

John could we setup at the farm outside the obs if nothing else is suitable?

No can do, I'm afraid. The arrangement between Letchworth & District AS and the farm is that LDAS can only use the site for observing on pre-arranged dates.

I will check to see if we can use the site during one of these obsy sessions and get back to you.

Observing session:

I have arranged for us to attend the November observing session with LDAS (details below). This is the last session of 2011 and if successful it could be arranged as a regular session with both groups sharing the site. The first session would be free but as the sessions are for the benefit of LDAS members there may be a nominal charge (to be arranged) for non-LDAS members for sessions in 2012 onwards.

PLEASE DO NOT ATTEND THIS SITE AT ANY OTHER TIME WITHOUT PRIOR ARRANGEMENT WITH LETCHWORTH & DISTRICT ASTRONOMICAL SOCIETY

PM me for my mobile number and confirmation that the observing is going ahead. Also, please can you email events@ldas.org.uk to notify the society that you will be attending to give them a rough idea of numbers.

Fri/Sat 25/26 November from 1930 onwards.

Standalone Farm, Wilbury Road, Letchworth SG6 4JN

The site has hardstanding for car parking and an area for scopes. The main scope is a Meade LX200/14 housed in a rolling roof obsy.

Archived