Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

18 months with a soft top!

Doley68

Well, eighteen months ago I completed my soft top shed conversion & I just thought I would let you all know that it is still going strong!

It has managed 60 mph gusts, heavy rain and 6'' of snow with -14 degrees C!

I must confess that I'm surprised how well it works and I built it!!

I have spent many hours in there now and it has transformed my hobby.

Here are a few pics.

post-17016-133877689905_thumb.jpg

post-17016-133877689913_thumb.jpg

post-17016-133877689921_thumb.jpg

post-17016-133877689928_thumb.jpg

post-17016-133877689936_thumb.jpg

what did you use for material? Easy to convert?

The roof is made from heavy duty PVC. The same as lorry side curtains. Very tough. I had it made to my measurements by a company that make covers for allsorts of things.

I just removed & disposed of the original roof (a few screws & a little swearing). Seperated the floor from the walls so I could cut a hole in the floor for the brick part of the pier & reassembled it in the position I wanted. I soon discovered that I needed a gutter but that was simple enough. Did the whole thing in a couple of shortish days but I am always making little improvments as I go along.

I was impressed with this scheme when you first showed it to us, and I'm glad it has fared well against the weather.

What surprises me is that rainwater doesn't pool between your rafters.

I guess the material is pretty stiff, and the bungees keep it taut enough?

For anyone planning to copy this:

What would you say to adding horizontal eaves to the top of the walls, so making the roof cover overhang the walls. Would roof water then drip beyond the walls and door, or has this not been a problem?

Are you happy with the PVC colour, would a lighter shade have kept the inside temp down in the summer?

Cheers

Michael

That's looking good, and an impressive mount and scope.

It was your posting early last year which inspired the design of my own obs, converted from a child's playhouse, and it too is still going strong. I do have a bit of an issue with condensation which sometimes runs down the inside of the PVC. Do you have that problem?

although it is another way to cover your shed i would pay attention to the sun and smog as with the passing of time they can deteriorate the material you used. even though it is used at lorries at some point you will have to replace it. finally you should pay extra attention at the string you use to tie the material you use as it is going to be the first thing to give way by the elements of nature

although it is another way to cover your shed i would pay attention to the sun and smog as with the passing of time they can deteriorate the material you used. even though it is used at lorries at some point you will have to replace it. finally you should pay extra attention at the string you use to tie the material you use as it is going to be the first thing to give way by the elements of nature

Yes, it will deteriorate over time but the material is UV protected so I hope to get at least 6 or 7 years out of it. Another advantage of this is when the time comes I just order another roof (£160 ish) and put it on. About 5 minutes! :)

That's looking good, and an impressive mount and scope.

It was your posting early last year which inspired the design of my own obs, converted from a child's playhouse, and it too is still going strong. I do have a bit of an issue with condensation which sometimes runs down the inside of the PVC. Do you have that problem?

Hi lukebl,

Glad your soft top is still ok. I followed your conversion with interest.

I did have some condensation problems on a few occasions last winter but it was only a real problem twice I think when I had to wipe the roof down with a towel. On mine the lower pitch means it doesn't run down the roof but just hangs there!

Over the summer I spent a few hours with a few tubes of frame sealent mastic and sealed up every little gap and crack I could find to stop any damp air from passing through. I also rehung & draught proofed the door. My thinking is that when the roof is on it is pretty well sealed to any humid air. I also redesigned the guttering as I was getting dampness due to splashing. So far this year I have a bone dry roof. :)

I was impressed with this scheme when you first showed it to us, and I'm glad it has fared well against the weather.

What surprises me is that rainwater doesn't pool between your rafters.

I guess the material is pretty stiff, and the bungees keep it taut enough?

For anyone planning to copy this:

What would you say to adding horizontal eaves to the top of the walls, so making the roof cover overhang the walls. Would roof water then drip beyond the walls and door, or has this not been a problem?

Are you happy with the PVC colour, would a lighter shade have kept the inside temp down in the summer?

Cheers

Michael

Hi Micheal,

I understand what you mean about pooling but it just runs straight off. The roof doesn't seem to know its raining!

The eaves idea is sound but because of the roof angle all the roof water goes into the gutter & the little that goes on the sides isn't a problem.

As for the colour, you are dead right. White was my first thought but I went for green just for looks. I thought white may push my luck with my wife a little! It is hot in there in the summer but if I am home I lift one of the high corners to let some of the heat out. Seems to help.

Archived