Ist Deep Sky With 350D - M3

jcm

This was an 8min exp at 800 iso at F6 , a good test of the autoguiding system and the other software.

John

PS I will take out the light pollution and replace this image - DONE

PPS - Whats the best way of removing the orange light pollution ?

post-13061-133877327867_thumb.jpg

This was an 8min exp at 800 iso at F6 , a good test of the autoguiding system and the other software.

John

PS I will take out the light pollution and replace this image - DONE

PPS - Whats the best way of removing the orange light pollution ?

Are you talking Sodium Lamps John?

Ron.

Yep , its sodium light pollution. Just wondered what was the best way of removing it without altering the star colours.

John

I have a 2" LPR which kills Sodium stone dead, but it does colour fringe the brighter stars.

There has to be more selective ffilter available that targets just the Sodium. Someone will have an answer John.

:)

Cracking image, John. You must be pleased.

Tom

Yep , it was good to see all the equipment worked together and the stars are small and round. I removed the light pollution in Photoshop but I am not sure if I altered the star colours.

I might consider having the filter changed in the 350d but its expensive and I still need more practice with the camera as it is.

John

That's really good for a single frame, stacked up a dozen of those would be superb.

8 minutes guiding proves the kit, as there is no wander detectable anywhere, focus was bang on (how do you do that? :) ) so you should be good to go with some absolute stunners. Great stuff.

Tip for Globs that I picked up, slightly reduce the exposure so that the core doesn't get burnt out and stack several to bring back the edges. You might need to apply a patch to keep the centre nice whilst stretching the rest of it.

Captain Chaos

John

That'a a very good image of M3 for a first go at DS.

As CC says get some more images and stack them. This would reduce the background noise in your image by a good factor. Your autoguiding looks very good.

Remember the longer the exposure the more light pollution affects the image. Try stacking 4 subs @ 2mins each (total time as posted image) and you will see a reduction in both LP and background noise.The stack will have to be stretched more to get detail though. 10 subs @ 2 mins each should be excellent.

Look forward to your next post

8)

MD

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions.

My request that we move to Arizona did not go down too well with the wife. :D

I think doing shorter subs is the way forward. I have a program called Deep Sky Stacker which should do the job. There was an article in the Jan issue of Practical Astronomer about imaging objects with bright centres. Taking short exposures for the core and long exposures for the outer regions and merging in Photoshop. Might have a go with this technique sometime.

John

PS For CC - Focused on a bright star using a right angled , magnified viewer. Then using DSLR Focus fine tuned the setting. A 1:10 focus control on the Feather Touch focuser helps a lot. :)

Archived