Can't see anything in my Skywatcher Skymax 127

Hi, I'm new to astronomy & have just bought a Skywatcher Skymax 127. I've got it alligned correctly with the finder scope but can't see anything through the main scope, I'm using the 25mm eyepiece without the barlow but cannot see anything at all going right through the range of the focussing knob. Even looking at the moon the entire eyepiece is just white and blurry.

It's no doubt me being an idiot thats the problem but any help in steering me in the right direction would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

I had this problem when starting to use my skywatcher 102 Mak. What came as a surprise to me was the huge range of focus travel there is compared to a very small sweet spot. The solution was to fix it during the day when i wasn't cold & rushing to find objects and trying to find gaps in the cloud.

It took one relaxed hour focusing on a golf hole flag through a window in the comfort of my living room to discover the problem was me. I know you've said you have worked your way through all the focus travel, but i would be tempted to suggest trying again during the day.

Cheers for the advice guys, I've been outside today & focussed on a satellite dish down the street with no problems so I know it's working. I think it could be either as imarcs suggested that theres a very big range of focus but a small sweetspot or it could be because of the streetlight practically overlooking my back yard.

Would a light filter sort that or do I just need to take my scope to somewhere less light polluted?

If that streetlight is shining directly onto the corrector lens (the front lens) of your maksutov it could be creating so much glare than anything else is drowned out :)

A glare shield might help - you will need something like this anyway to stop dew forming and it can be made from an old foam camping mat.

Archived