Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What's the design of kit Sky-Watcher eyepieces?

I refer to the two 10mm and 25mm pieces most commonly supplied with entry-level SW equipment.

They don't look expensive :) What would be reasonable but inexpensive step-up versions including the Barlow (which I don't own yet)?

Thanks.

Hi,

We discussed this before and I think it ended up as 'modified achromats' - a three lens design. Anyone feel free to correct me.

I tried plossls and orthos but the most notable step up for me was the larger field of view in a meade swa.

But then I'm still a beginner :)

Hi,

We discussed this before and I think it ended up as 'modified achromats' - a three lens design. Anyone feel free to correct me.

I tried plossls and orthos but the most notable step up for me was the larger field of view in a meade swa.

Thanks, any advice on an entry-level Barlow (2x)?

Hi,

[Reaches for his reading glasses - should have gone to specsavers! :-] ]

Sky Watcher Sky-Watcher Super-MA Series Eyepiece upgrade set

As Starware author notes, every item (including eyepieces), has to bear a super-duper-omni prefix these days :-]

The Celestron Ultima and Orion Shorty plus 2x Barlows are a good first jump. Basically the same lense, they have been very popular with the astro community for a long time, and offer best performance in that price bracket.

More recently the Tal 2x has been a good value for money alternative at about half the new price if the other two. Best buy second hand at around 50% of the new price :)

Can't beat a TAL Barlow. Very good, solid build, great performance and good value too. BST eyepieces are pretty good. Not high end by any means but a decent step up. The eyepieces supplied are very poor all round. Even a half decent upgrade makes a big difference.

Archived