Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Objects transiting the Moon

Hypernova

So there I was observing the Moon at low power using my new 28 UWAN at around 21:45-21:50 when I saw a small black object fly over the surface of the northern hemisphere travelling towards the west. At first I thought satellite but things didn't seem to match up as this object was moving east-west whereas the majority of satellites move from west-east. Also Calsky has no data for any sun/moon crosser this evening, just a close approach by a sat roughly an hour prior to this sighting.

No planes were visible in the area, at least none with navigation lights turned on so I will discount that option. The only other thing that it might've been was another airborne object, maybe a bird, but this was moving in the face of the prevailing ground-level winds.

I was really stumped but was even more so when another black object appeared and moved across the Moon in the same direction but closer towards the equator. This second sighting was approximately 5-10 minutes later at 21.56. Both objects took around a second to transit the lunar disk.

Can anyone shed some light on what these objects may have been? :)

i was viewing the moon last night around six thirty,very low in the sky at very low mag to get the whole moon in and was surprised at amount of birds flying through field of view, most likely crows as they are usually last to roost

Archived