Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Bino viewers!

paul mc c

The problem with using them wirh cassagrains is that you end up with huge focal lengths that only work on planets

Yoy could cut down a frac to give you more infocus :-)

Sent from my A101IT using Tapatalk

where do the "huge" focal lengths come from?:) in reality because of the loss of light people only tend to use them on moon and planets anyway. btw they are awesome for moon and planets.

I agree they are great for planets but it does limit their usefulness

I was trying to work out the math back when i had my set but moving the primary to the right position for the increase in light path seems to increase the focal length by more than that of the light path added by the bino viewer,

The cheaper binoviewers wont take a max fov 1.25" eyepiece properly due to the amount of light it can pass through.

Sent from my A101IT using Tapatalk

I have a WO pair of bVs and tried them in my 102 refractor. They worked only if I used the 1.6 barlow that came with them. The problem is "in focus travel" You need this extra in focus to bring them to focus. BUT.......... once they work, they really do improve the view and are brilliant for planets and the moon. It feels like you get a lot of extra detail and that is really nice on the planets.. Somehow it`s as if you are stepping up to a 5" scope from a 4".

I was trying to work out the math back when i had my set but moving the primary to the right position for the increase in light path seems to increase the focal length by more than that of the light path added by the bino viewer,

You reminded me I hadn't posted my data about this - see here http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-scopes-whole-setups/162625-sct-focussing-changing-focal-length-some-data.html

focal length seems to increase by somewhere between 3 -4 times the light path increase.

Archived