Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging help.

BEYOND EARTH

Can I go back to your original question for a sec? The wording seems to imply that you were considering LRGB filters in front of your DSLR, or maybe I'm wrong? This wouldn't work at all because the colour filters are already there on your DSLR (RGB, that is, but not L.) The software derives an artifial L layer from the RGB which works pretty well.

You asked if you could get results 'as good' as LRGB CCD and my personal answer would not be a straight 'yes' but more of a 'nearly.' I also think that the faster the F ratio of your scope the closer you'll get to CCD standard.

As ever, multiple stacking of many iterations of the same object will transform the standard of your pictures. Diminishing returns on stacking don't set in till you have about 50 images in the stack. That's a lot - and worth having!

Olly

Yes I was implying using the filters with the DSLR, that was until I saw your post.

So in other words a DSLR does not need LRGB filters because it is build in. That is unless I'm using a Astrophotography Camera correct? Please forgive me, I'm still trying to gain a better understanding of all this.

Hi BE, when I read your post I was wondering if you were contemplating doing widefield DSO (Deep Sky Objects) or Planetary imaging (or both maybe?). Your DSLR will be fine for DSO's but the cameras required for capturing planetary detail are somewhat different. If you look at the different forum divisions within the IMAGING section you'll see what cameras people as using. You'll see lots of folk using modified Canon DSLR's (i.e. with the InfraRed blocking filter removed) for star shots while the Solar System guys are employing the DMK21 cameras (especially with the new Sony 618 chip) for planetary pictures. Give yourself some time to browse through this forum as I know you'll quickly pick up what's what.

Yes I was implying using the filters with the DSLR, that was until I saw your post.

So in other words a DSLR does not need LRGB filters because it is build in. That is unless I'm using a Astrophotography Camera correct? Please forgive me, I'm still trying to gain a better understanding of all this.

Ah, I'm glad I read your post correctly.

Yes, a DSLR has inbuilt RGB filtering to produce a colour image. You have a 'bayer matrix' of one red, two green and one blue filters placed in a pattern in front of groups of four pixels. The pattern is designed to make it nigh on impossible not to sample the sky accurately.

You can do RGB only like this with a mono CCD astro camera or you can also shoot a layer of luminance as well. Luminance filters pass red and green and blue at the same time and therefore get lots of data fast, but without colour information. You add the colour info via RGB filtering. It is a kind of shortcut but a very efficient one.

Olly

Archived