NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Posting a telescope - HELP!!!!!!

rocketandroll

I frequently send delicate stuff by courier, not scopes but musical instruments. I always use either Parcel2Go or Interparcel, and have never had a problem. The guiding principle is that you have to pack in the expectation it will be dropped. It just won't work explaining that it's a scientific instrument and shouldn't be dropped. You have to work out how you can create impact absorbtion and shock resistance. Air spacing and packaging are your friends.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
....As it was not damaged I thought I would let the matter slide, although, maybe I should have let FLO know so they could just ask the courier company to stress the delicate nature of their deliveries.

You really should have as we can't fix what we don't know about :)

Glad the scope was OK though.

James

You really should have as we can't fix what we don't know about :)

Glad the scope was OK though.

James

Sorry James, I was going to but I had boxes of toys (hahmm…I mean delicate scientific instruments) in front of me and it sort of got lost in the back of my childlike head!

• 4 weeks later...

What's the position if the item goes missing?

I can understand couriers won't pay up on a smashed telescope, but what's people's experiences of if/when the whole parcel goes missing?

Do they still say: "Ah, but it contained glass - we won't pay!"

What's the position if the item goes missing?

I can understand couriers won't pay up on a smashed telescope, but what's people's experiences of if/when the whole parcel goes missing?

Essentially.... yes.

Any excuse for them to get out of paying up... if you tell them it contains 'fragile items' they won't insure it at all, for loss or damage.

In the end I posted it by Royal mail and listed it as 'scientific equipment'. My assumption was, if it went missing totally... it was parts of a mount in which case not fragile and should be covered, if it got damaged, they wouldn't insure it anyway so no further loss.

Thankfully it arrived in perfect condition the next day :-)

Ben

Also look out for clauses like "we won't pay if it was inadequately packaged" where the definition of inadequately packaged is that it got damaged :). See if the courier has recommended cartons or packaging materials that you should use.

Also look out for clauses like "we won't pay if it was inadequately packaged" where the definition of inadequately packaged is that it got damaged :). See if the courier has recommended cartons or packaging materials that you should use.

Yeah, from what I've seen.... the bottom line is, you won't get them to pay out for damage no matter what. Unless you have on video them playing rugby with your package in a car park... you are pretty much on a hiding to nothing.

If it gets damaged, no matter what force was required to damage it, and no matter how well you packed it... it's your fault for not packing it in a crate made from 1" thick titanium plate.

Ben

It's irrelevant if it contains glass or not for a lost parcel claim.

I checked out this very matter with Interparcel to clarify it and here's what they said.

The glass in a telescope is a restricted item meaning that there is no insurance on the glass and it's shipped at your own risk. However the rest of the scope is fully covered so if say the focuser or any other mechanical part was damaged they would pay out. It's also a good idea whenever possible to keep the original packaging when you buy a scope in case you ever do want to ship it later on.

In the case of the parcel being lost they would pay out the full amount that you have insured the shipment for.

BTW I always declare the contents as being a telescope.

John

Interparcel said: The glass in a telescope is a restricted item meaning that there is no insurance on the glass and it's shipped at your own risk. However the rest of the scope is fully covered so if say the focuser or any other mechanical part was damaged they would pay out. It's also a good idea whenever possible to keep the original packaging when you buy a scope in case you ever do want to ship it later on. In the case of the parcel being lost they would pay out the full amount that you have insured the shipment for.

Thanks very much for this information.

I know that you've personally shipped a few telescopes in your time John, and so your input on this is very much appreciated.

rgds, J.

When I posted my C100ED OTA I used TNT 24hr delivery which was organized and paid for via Parcel2Go. There was no way that it would insured under any circumstances so I had to let the buyer take responsibility for any loss during transit, I did all I could to package it safely and it got to the other side of the UK without issue :)

Archived