What are the must have accessories for Skyliner 200P Dob

Hi SGL,

I have decided to invest in a Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian. I am looking into some accessories to go with it. I am thinking I will definitely need a telrad, a Cheshire Collimating Eyepiece and maybe a dew shield? are there any other accessories that would be classed as a must have with this scope? I know nothing about eye pieces either. Are the standard ones that come with the scope up to the job? I have also been told that 'Turn Left at Orion' would be a good buy?

Any advice would be very much appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Some kind of telrad/red dot finder will be useful, a cheshire is a must, a dew shield can be made simply from a foam exercise mat, and yes, a good book/sky atlas is needed.

As for the eyepieces, wait and see, they'l certainly be fine for a while, after a while you'l get a feel for the sort of magnifications you're missing out on and want, then you can start your collection. A decent barlow is always a sound investment, since it'l mean any eyepieces you have/buy will be turned into 2 eyepieces :icon_salut:

telrad, deffo! Yes, turn left is a good book but also consider Illustrated Astronomical Wonders of the universe is also good, at this time of year, good warm clothing is a good investment . Best buy of last winter? A lighter fluid hand warmer, it was great on those freezing nights

You have the essentials covered. A right angle finder scope makes a more comfortable replacement for the standard straight through type, but it is by no means necessary. I would suggest something to sit on and some warm socks.

Enjoy it, it's a lovely scope. :icon_salut:

The only must have accessory you really need is clear skies. The other things are nice to have but not essential, as you can observe with the 200P dob right out of the box.

My 2p is to try observing with your telescope a few times and see if anything bothers you.

In my case I couldn't get used to using the supplied finderscope, so replaced it with a simple red dot finder. Others prefer right angle corrected image finders, and more complex red dot finders are also popular such as Telrads and Rigel Quickfinders.

The 200p holds collimation very well and is tolerant of a few bumps but a collimator is a worthwhile buy eventually (it took me 18 months). Some prefer laser collimators but mine is a simpler cheshire from astro engineering. I've also got one of their dew shields, which also helps to block light from neighbours kitchen lights.

Turn Left at Orion is good and available at your library if you can't get hold of a copy. Planetarium software is very handy too, I use Stellarium.

As for eyepieces....that's a whole discussion in itself and depends very much on your budget, eyesight and viewing aspirations. But I've got a range of GSO Revelation and Meade 4000 plossls, and I'm building up a set of Baader Hyperions.

Enjoy your telescope!

:icon_salut:

I would think a Moon filter is essential.........unless you actually enjoy having a hole burned through the back of your skull while observing a full moon.

That wont happen (obviously), but the Moon is gonna be so bright with 200mm of aperture.

And a nice wide field EP such as anything 30mm+

Archived