Help before I buy.

Hello all.

Just wanted last advice before I buy my scope and mount. I am about to buy a SW 100ed with NEQ6. Obviously this is not cheap at £1525 hence I want the last advice before saying goodbye to the cash. I want to get into astrophotography and will start with the £40 webcam bundle from Morgans. I kind of want a general scope so I can try attempts at everything the sky has to offer. I have changed my mind thousands of times and still unsure. Would the 80ed be better with a faster F/ or the 100ed for aperture. Basically if this was your money what would you buy with it. Does not have to be the ED range. I am more for a refractor though. Tips on best accessories, eps, etc.

If you've took the time to read this then thank you and thanks in advance for any help you give me. As I said it is a lot of cash to depart with hence I want to do it right.

Mottm.

Of the two quoted scopes the ED80 would be better alround in my opinion.

The ED100 are a great scope and really excel beyond their size on doubles and the planets.

The 80 though has an almost cult like following and reputation.

The mount is outstanding and is probably the most mount you will ever need.

Good luck in your final choice....you will be very happy with either.

i was in the same situation had around£1800 may be a squease to a bit more was going for the same mount but the 120ed, but the length of the scope put me off and your eye position if looking at the zeneth. read **** loads of good reports on the celestron 9.25 and that is what i got and am very happy i did. very hard decision though mate

Hi mottm,

With that budget you will be able to comfortably achieve either scope. If you have not used them I would suggest going to your nearest astro shop so that you can compare them in the flesh to choose the one that suits you best..

Great choices.!

Thanks all for the replys.

Guess I will head to ROV unless there is a better closer one to Tamworth?

I have noticed the credit towards the 80ed and unsure I should get the 100ed. Any more thoughts between these or other refractors?

Also what Eps and other accessiories should I be aiming for. What ones will I need to get started i.e power tank.

Again many thanks.

Mottm

Get the best mount you can, then you can put anything on it. I have a 100ed and its good for visual and imaging. Not the fastest for imaging, not the most powerful for planets, however, a good all rounder at least for me to compliment what I already had. Later in life I will be getting Scopes for specific purposes but for now this one does me.

Archived