Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

EQ3 vs EQ5

newman

Hi all,

I have the Skywatcher Evostar 120/100 refractor. The OTA is just above 5kg alone, and when I place the diagonal, heavier EP's, telrad etc the weight can easily reach some 7kg.

The OTA came mounted on the EQ3 mount with an aluminum tripod (traders just love to undermount scopes as much as possible..) which really isn't up to the task. It does work, but you make a slightest movement and it all shakes like crazy.

Obviously, I need an upgrade. The EQ3 is a fine, lightweight portable mount but for a smaller scope. My requirements; a manual mount (no motors or goto, motors can be added on later as an option) that can handle my OTA and is still somewhat portable (lots of stairs and no elevator means lugging something like an EQ6 wouldn't be fun).

The local store has EQ5 mounts that aren't expensive in their completely manual variants (no motors or GoTo), and they come mounted on sturdier steel tripods. This seems to fit the bill with the stated payload capacity of 10kg, but I'm wondering if someone can tell me what sort of a practical improvement do I stand to gain compared to the EQ3?

I could also order a Celestron CG-5 which is apparently the same mount with a slightly different "body" and a bit sturdier tripod, but since it's not available locally the price difference would jump up to 150€ easily.

Opinions? Again, don't want motors or GoTo, and have no astrophotography aspirations at least for the next few years. If and when I get my dream scope (like a TEC 140) years from now, I'll just get a new mount for it.

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I don't want to just replace the legs. I want to replace the whole mount, the EQ3 isn't strong enough for that OTA, which is why I was looking into buying an EQ5 with a steel tripod. I'm just wondering how much sturdier can I expect it to be compared to the EQ3 on alu legs.

Thanks, Damo! Only thing I'm not too crazy about is the lack of a proper accessory tray on the EQ5 steel tripod. The triangular one with no holes in it is actually useful. The plate with holes in it that I guess I'm supposed to trust my Ethos with in pitch black is not :D

I normally set my ep case up beside me on a small fold up wooden table and don't bother with the ep holder on the tripod. The ep holder on the EQ5 also acts as a tensioner for the steel legs. It is screwed up from underneath and puts outward pressure on the legs leaving the whole thing nice and rigid.

I previously had a 120mm f8.3 Celestron OMNI XLT refractor which is virtually the same scope. I sold mine as I found I preferred newts (dobs specifically). Here's some comments:

• I found the CG4 mount with 1.75" steel tubular legs just about adequate but as you say, with accessories, wobbled quite a bit.
  • I am tall and found the eyepiece/finder height near the zenith very low.
  • I bought a Vixen GP mount and used this with a home made tall wooden tripod which was a really good upgrade. This mount is what the CG5 and (I think) the EQ5 are cloned from.
  • The wooden tripod was far better and much sturdier than the supplied tripod.

see these threads for more details

http://stargazerslounge.com/diy-astronomer/99448-home-made-wooden-tripod-refractor.html

http://stargazerslounge.com/discussions-scopes-whole-setups/106456-eq-alt-azimuth-giro.html

you may also find a seat will help you

http://stargazerslounge.com/members-equipment-gallery/97962-observing-chair.html

Very helpful post there Moonshane, thanks a bunch! I've actually been looking at wooden tripods, from DIY solutions to those nice but pricey Berlebach ones. The tripod you built is a thing of beauty, and I even like the color - exactly the shade I'd pick. From what I understand wood (the right kind, such as ash) has superior vibration damping properties. Not to mention it looks a lot better.. to me at least.

Problem is, I don't have much experience with DIY projects, don't really have the time to learn (work keeps me busy), but most importantly don't have the space or the tools. But I'm looking at the option of finding someone with the tools and skills who might be willing to make one for me (I'd pay, of course - and supply the material). Looks like the spreader bar is the toughest part to make, but I could essentially take that off the EQ3 alu tripod I got, as well as the mounting head. We'll just see if I can get someone to do this for me for an acceptable price..

Thanks again, very useful post!

I have an early EQ5 with Alu legs, it was barely sufficient for my 120mm f8.3 OTA for visual use.

I haven't tried the new EQ5's steel tripod, but I've used my EQ5's head with a Vixen HAL130 from my GPDX, which greatly improved its stability and reduced damping time. I'd expect the difference between this and an Alu leg EQ3-2 to be even greater.

However, nowadays, I used the 120 f8.3 OTA with my GPDX. I'd suggest, if you can afford it, get a heavier HEQ5 or GPD2. The refractor's OTA is very long and will exaggerate vibration and flex.

btw, FLO is selling a HAL130 for £150 at the moment.

I have an early EQ5 with Alu legs, it was barely sufficient for my 120mm f8.3 OTA for visual use.

I haven't tried the new EQ5's steel tripod, but I've used my EQ5's head with a Vixen HAL130 from my GPDX, which greatly improved its stability and reduced damping time. I'd expect the difference between this and an Alu leg EQ3-2 to be even greater.

However, nowadays, I used the 120 f8.3 OTA with my GPDX. I'd suggest, if you can afford it, get a heavier HEQ5 or GPD2. The refractor's OTA is very long and will exaggerate vibration and flex.

btw, FLO is selling a HAL130 for £150 at the moment.

Thanks. Since yours was an old version EQ5 with alu legs, I'm going to hope that the new version with the steel tripod the local store has in stock will do the job, for now. I'd like nothing better than a Vixen GPD2, but right now I'd rather get a cheaper mount which will still do the job and spend the rest on expanding my ep collection - once I get a new scope (ideally something like a TEC 140 in a few years, if there's luck..) I'll just get a decent mount for it. As for the HEQ5, it's not exactly practical without power, and I don't want to deal with power tanks etc in the field. Which leaves me with an EQ5 which should, by all counts, do the job for now. I can always try fitting it on wooden legs later on.. A HAL130 from FLO would cost me quite a bit because when I pay shipping and taxes to my location that original price of £150 is nothing but a distant memory :D

Update time! I bought the EQ5 on a steel tripod, and had a chance to test it out yesterday night. The difference in stability is huge - the mount handles my scope easily (for visual, anyway), and it does it with a somewhat heavy 17mm Ethos attached easily. I'm very happy with my new mount and now that I'm sure the mount works as advertised, I can sell my EQ3 with dual axis motor drives to soften the financial cost.

Hi

You took the words out of my mouth! I think you might find the holes in the tensioner plate are much better for storing your EPs than a tray.

Just remember to take them out when you pack up and don't ask me how I know that!

Hi

You took the words out of my mouth! I think you might find the holes in the tensioner plate are much better for storing your EPs than a tray.

Just remember to take them out when you pack up and don't ask me how I know that!

Ouch :icon_salut: Anyway, the tensioner plate isn't as bad as I thought - it's quite handy, actually. The Ethos is way too high to fit into one of those 2" holes, but I kind of prefer that particular eyepieces either in the diagonal or safe and sound inside it's protective box :D

Archived