Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which is my Best Scope?

I have the following 3 scopes, my goal is to Image.

Revelation F6 100mm ED FPL 53 (According to Telescope House)

Meade F6 80mm Triplet FCD1 ED Glass

Stellavue F7 80mm ED (glass unknown)

My aim to to do DSO Narrowband imaging.

(yes im pondering a reshuffle)

I think you are going to have to do your own magazine review. Try each one with it's FF against the same target and examine the quality of the image. Personally, I have the Meade 5000 ED80 used with a TelVue 0.8 FF which I'm really happy with.

I think you are going to have to do your own magazine review. Try each one with it's FF against the same target and examine the quality of the image. Personally, I have the Meade 5000 ED80 used with a TelVue 0.8 FF which I'm really happy with.

I do like the Meade its a very nice scope although I have only used it visually so far, however the focuser (a single speed crayford) will need to be upgraded for imaging.

The stellavue been the slowest scope has that going against it.

The Revelation is atm my main imaging scope and is setup and works, only issue is i have not goto the televue flattener to work with it correctly.

I have an ST 80 available to use as a Guide so thats covered.

Of course i could just save up for a Mono CCD and keep my options open.

I have a True Tek Filter wheel with 1.25 and 2 inch options.

If I sell the Meade, Stellavue and my QHY8L, im a few hundred short of a Mono CCD Which is where I need to be.... Maybe

I could also just save up for a Mono CCD

For NB you don't need much colour correction because the light is nearly monochromatic but you do need a fast F ratio. A flat field is a big plus. I think you just need to try them.

Olly

+1

Decent solid focuser is a plus for imaging in general too, so that might be a factor.

I used to have one of the Revelation (actually by Long Perng) 100 ED refractors and they don't give an exact glass type. They just say ED glass which is the usual marketing term for FPL-51 glass as if FPL-53 glass is used they make sure you know about it.

The scope was good optically though and the focuser was very, very good.

John

I used to have one of the Revelation (actually by Long Perng) 100 ED refractors and they don't give an exact glass type. They just say ED glass which is the usual marketing term for FPL-51 glass as if FPL-53 glass is used they make sure you know about it.

John

It is a very nice scope, I cant find the email I had from TH, I must of deleted it.

Missed this earlier

I could also just save up for a Mono CCD

Ideally you'd use a red-sensitive mono CCD for narrowband - not to say that OSC doesn't/can't work, but both H-alpha and [s II] are in the red, so the blue and green pixels in OSC are effectively going to waste. [O III] is near the blue/green crossover, but then you're wasting the red...

The Long Perng/Revelation doublet that I had was also a good performer for both for visual and imaging (although needed a flattener, IIRC). I don't know what the glass was as it was listed as both FPL-51 and -53 in different places - never had much reason to care though, as the correction seemed decent.

Long Perng has some new stuff coming out. The 60mm triplet and the 110mm quadruplet could be quite interesting.

ED APO 60mm f/7 TRIPLET refractor with ED FPL-53 lens

ED APO 110mm f/6 QUADRUPLET refractor with ED FPL-51+NBM51 lens

ED APO 126mm f/7 TRIPLET C/F refractor with ED FPL-53 lens

ED APO 150mm f/6.7 TRIPLET C/F refractor with ED FPL-53 lens

ED APO 110mm f/6 carbon fibre refractor with ED fluorite lens

ED APO 80mm f/6.25 carbon fibre refractor with ED fluorite lens

John

I'd see which one flexes the most once loaded up and take it from there. No 1 pain the neck is focussing, for me anyway...

I do wonder why you got three very similar scopes? you could flog one and get a nice dob for fun.

I'd see which one flexes the most once loaded up and take it from there. No 1 pain the neck is focussing, for me anyway...

I do wonder why you got three very similar scopes? you could flog one and get a nice dob for fun.

The reason I have 3 scopes is my idea of dual imaging, but this might be a long way off, I was considering using a OSC and a Mono cam on the Meade and the Revelation.

Archived