Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Un-guided EQ3-2 M31 project final stack.

stan26

Well I'm calling it a day, or night depending how you look at it, with the M31, I'm fairly happy with the results given the equipment I have. Next project on the learning curve will be M45.

Setup as per sig, ST102 achro, EQ3-2 RA driven, un-modded canon 500D, no filters no nothing , just a T-adapter on the draw tube. Focus achieved using homemade cardboard bahtinov mask.

Image details:

470 x 30sec exposures at various ISO ranging from 1600-6400.

Thats 3.9 hrs of imaging. 14,100 seconds :)

Stacked in DSS with darks only. Edited in photoshop CS2.

My final image with some saturation/contrast, in....er...funky M31 colours

stan:)

post-23582-133877681974_thumb.jpg

That is absolutely excellent Stan. Nicely framed and I like the colour balance.

Thanks, Yeah I have gone totally opposite with this edit, my others with M31 were subtle less contrasty, but this time Iv gone for the hubble colourful approach! :)

I have actualy just toned it down a bit and re attatched it, It looked abit over kill on here. Don't know if thats because its jpeg/forum or something, but the tiff in PS looked better.

Stan

Thanks guys. I can't get over how huge andromeda is!

I saved this snap shot of the core area during the editing process. Bareing in mind this is with an ST102 on a 1.6x crop body, so not really masses of magnification involved, this is an actual pixel size crop of the area before I resized the image! :(

And an ever so slight re-tweak of the final pic, noticed it has a greeny hue. Its not that noticable in PS..:)

stan

post-23582-133877682079_thumb.jpg

post-23582-133877682088_thumb.jpg

That is absolutely stunning! Really like the images! I have been toying with the idea of a second scope between the ST80 and the ST102, this may go along way to convincing me to go for the latter! I know a lot of work will have gone into getting it to how you have but it definitely paid off!

Thanks for your kind comments folks, it certainly was a fair bit of effort to get this with the EQ3. Hopefully my pics will be inspirational to people wanting to image on a budget like me. M45 is my next project, not sure how i'm going to get around the CA with it, but Il figure it out....

Thanks for the tip Kev, Il check my PS colour settings.

Cheers

stan :)

Looking great Stan you must be having a lot of fun with this one I am moving on to my next target before I wear a hole in the sky. Was thinking of going for the Crab Nebula.

Thanks Quatermass, I'm going to snap M27 dumbell whilst I wait a couple of weeks for M45 to get over my house at a reasonable time of night.

stan:)

Archived