NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Is this a good tripod?

Hama 00004210 Profil Duo III Tripod for Photo/Video: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

It's for my 10x50s for now, but I'd like something that can handle larger bins (like 70 or 80 mm objectives) in future. With my current bins having cost £22 though, it would be silly to spend loads on the tripod.

This one's rated for 4kg, and is a dual tripod/monopod. But I can't help feeling it looks spindly.

If you want cheap and good quality (a rare combination), look for a redsnapper tripod. the legs are good heavy duty, but my only advice would be to spend a little extra on the head.

I've been using one for photography before getting into astronomy. I was delighted to find I could use it with my bins too.

http://www.redsnapperuk.com/camera-accessories/RS-283_tripod_and_RSH-24_3-way_head_.html

Yeah..the trouble is spending 3 times the cost of the bins on the mounting strikes me as making no sense at all. The RedSnapper tripod is half the cost of a scope.

You would if you were buying a scope, I've seen many Skywatcher 200Ps on EQ5 or 6 mounts (much more expensive than the OTA).. The mount is a very important part as you need the stability to get a good solid view, otherwise you may as well be balancing them on the top of your car, which you can do for free.

I agree with Paul, above, all the Hama ones i've seen have been rubbish to be honest!

Much better move to stretch the budget for something a lot more robust and stable. I too went for a Red Snapper, about a year ago, and it has proved to be a great buy!

FLO do some good Horizon tripods too!!

Doc

Have you considered something like this as a cheap alternative.

Monster Pod camera support £6.50

http://www.scopesnskies.com/AstroBoot

I've used one before with bins. Just rest it on top off a fence post or top of a car etc. and it will hold the bins nice and steady. Just need a standard L-bracket to connect it to your bins which you'd need for a tripod anyway.

John

post-14522-133877682065_thumb.jpg

Nothing for it to go on really. I don't have a car and if I did it wouldn't be in my garden (though if I did I probably wouldn't be observing from said garden anyway). The fences are a bit too high and half of them wobble themselves due to damage.

If you are already thinking about buying a set of BIG bins in the near future, you really ARE going to need a good strong sturdy tripod. Hama tripods simply will not support BIG bins. At best they can hold a small compact digi cam. I seriously doubt the 4Kg weight limit on this tripod. I wouldnt even mount my 10x50 bins on one of these tripods. I have 2 of these tripods myself (through no fault of my own). Useless is one way of describing them (if i am being polite).

Red Snappers sell for under £100 (depending on model) and will do a fine job.

Archived