Leave the dob outside?

DavidOfBanff

My old scope looks like it is being well looked after then Rob :)

It is indeed Kevin.....the mirrors are off for a recoat shortly too...not sure whether to go for Orion optics with the hilux coating, or Galvanoptics, who are cheaper but take a lot longer.

The biggest problem that I see would be creepy-crawlie access to the scope. Keeping things outside will mean that everything from slugs and snails looking for a warm damp spot to survive, through spiders spinning webs to catch the little flies that might get trapped under a cover, could be setting up shop around all those lovely shiny mirrors.

I'd suggest a good mirror cover (and one for the secondary) and to be prepared for the odd scurry of a centipede near a focuser once you move it out and disturb the slumber of the lower forms of animal life..

And the slugs, don't forget the slugs and snails. And the neighbours tom spraying it.

Actually I believe slugs are repelled by a band of copper round the base.

Well I've not even decided what dob to go for, so getting ahead of myself anyway, but it's all got to be mulled over.

Instead of leaving it outside under a tarp why not get a 4x4 garden shed and keep it in there. My Dob lives in an unheated shed with a shower cap over each end and a dust sheet over the top, when the skies clear I can be up and running in literally a couple of minutes and the scope is always ready cooled. It's been in there for a couple of years now and is still in perfect shape.

Look great, how do scope cope with frost etc ?

As long as you cover the mirrors when not in use, there isn't a problem....with covered mirrors and a wooden shed, it's very unlikely that frost will be present.

When I had a big 14 inch SCT, I'd sometimes get frost on the corrector plate on a cold night, even with the dew heaters running, and there'd be frost all over the mount, but it didn't cause any problems.

Rob

Archived