Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

AstroArt 5 review.

ollypenrice

Mick have you used the Main Sequence software with Nebulosity?

I've just had a go with it...while its day time and can't realy test it properly, I set a sequencs of lights, darks and flats, and it seems to work ok...will have to read the instructions a bit more:)

As for plate solving etc.....that will have to wait for night, and no cloud, could be a while then! :)

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've just had a go with it...while its day time and can't realy test it properly, I set a sequencs of lights, darks and flats, and it seems to work ok...will have to read the instructions a bit more:)

As for plate solving etc.....that will have to wait for night, and no cloud, could be a while then! :)

Might be worth while making up a new thread for the plug-in and Nebulosity ;)

Not at all .... you can make sure it works by using an old fits. As long as you know the rough RA and DEC and the arc secs/pixel of your camera you are away. That way at least you know it works

• 4 weeks later...

I missed this the first time around but due to some ongoing niggling issues with PHD guiding (wandering RA) and reading Mick's comments on his PHD thread about AstroArt, I thought I'd better have a look at this in more detail so did a quick search and found this thread.

I WAS originally only looking at it for guiding, but now I see it does oh so much more, I'm VERY tempted to put this on my christmas list! I've found Harry's video on OSC flats, a couple of you tube videos, and also some additional "free" AA4 processing videos (on ip4ap), but is there anything anywhere on guiding with v5?

You use a Lodestar and an NEQ6.

That is what I use (although through an OAG through the MN190).

Start an instance of AA5.

Connect Lodestar. Connect Mount.

Setup Lodestar to 2x2.

When ready to start guiding ....

Take guide image at whatever exposure you want ... I use 1second normally. Take a dark beforehand if you wish - I don't bother.

Select a star by drawing a box round it. Click on Guide. Select the Guide tab in the telescope pane and click Calibration.

Wait for calibration to end (about 30 seconds or so). You can tell because the cross in the Guide window disappears. Click on Mark Guide star.

Thats it.

If you use EQMod then fine tune in the Pulse guide monitor if needed.

I have RA and DEC guiding at 0.8x and the pulse guide monitor set at about 50% give or take on both RA and DEC. I get average errors of .15px through a MN190 which isn't bad. Through my WO66 I get ~ 0.02px.

Its easy and very reliable I have not had any issues at all.

The best thing to do though is download the trial of AA and try it yourself

Things to be aware of though.

I have to use two instances of AA because there is a stutter when guiding as the program pauses on download (I think). Using two cameras in one instance makes it a bit irritating as it is constantly pausing. Using an instance just for guiding does away with this. Set it up and just let it go.

If using Sequence Generator with two instances if AA then you should always make sure that the capture instances has focus at the end of or start of a new exposure as otherwise SG will control the guiding instance. It only works with the instance that is on top. This is a bit annoying at times but once you get your head round it its fine. Once the guiding is running you just let it run in the background anyway

As above, Andy, though I do adjust the telescope speed setting to refine the calibration. You tell the software the scope moves faster or slower than it really does in order to vary the aggressiveness of corrections.

I'll try to remember to do you a screen grab of my settings if you like.

One thing Komet didn't mention is that AA doesn't know which way round to work so it might guide the wrong way after callibration, in which case you just tick 'invert x' or 'invert y' as approproate. When you do a flip you have to set the opposite setting to the one you had before.

Olly

though I do adjust the telescope speed setting to refine the calibration. You tell the software the scope moves faster or slower than it really does in order to vary the aggressiveness of corrections.

Of course - should have mentioned that. I do use EQMod adjustments though - same result though

One thing Komet didn't mention is that AA doesn't know which way round to work so it might guide the wrong way after callibration, in which case you just tick 'invert x' or 'invert y' as approproate. When you do a flip you have to set the opposite setting to the one you had before.

Olly

Yep .... mine guides as is but I have to flip the DEC axis after a meridian flip. All down to the position of the camera isn't it?

On the subject of a meridian flip. I hate them. Using Sequence Generator and Elbrus the other night I did the flip, plate solved and then moved to the reference frame I was using for the target. Put me there within a couple of minutes at 1 pixel difference. Honestly - I like that. AA and its (free) "add ons" have a lot to offer.

Wow... I thought PHD was supposed to be simple.... but this sounds even simpler - Thanks very much Mick / Olly! It's hardly surprising there's not a video / on-line guide... (Olly, if you do get the chance, a settings screenshot would be greatly appreciated!)

I don't want to say it too loudly, but there's not a cloud in the sky here, and the forecast is 100% clear until 6am - Perhaps I can give the demo a whirl tonight (although I note the demo only guides for 45 mins). However, as I too loathe flips, those "freebie add-ons" sound superb.... on top of which it sounds as though it will reduce my calibration time significantly - It takes me over 5 mins at the moment.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Took the plunge today and ordered a hard copy of AA5 from FLO , as the weather is poor, it will give me a good chance to read the 140 page manual first, and then read it again. Got a week off work, it's will give me something to do :grin: .

Good Review Olly.

• 2 years later...

I wonder if anyone can help. I am trying to use AstroArt and find that when debayering DSLR images the colours come out all wrong. I don't have this problem with Nebulosity or Pixinsight. Should I change the RGB ratios? If so what to. It certainly does not work with R1 G1 B1 ratios. I have tried various permutations but it just looks worse. I must be doing something wrong.

Archived