Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

NEQ6/EQ6 Storage

Dielectric

Hi there

Is it ok to store an NEQ6 outdoors in a shed here in the UK with swinging outdoor temperatures? I guess some people must have these mounts pier mounted permanently outdoors in an unheated skyshed. My main concern is condensation/damp. The mower and strimmer seem to have done fine over the years but I don't autoguide the mower (yet). My shed is pretty dry all year round and no damp to speak of.

Space has become a precious commodity within the house and getting some of the bulky astro stuff out of the house will please the spiders.

Any advice warmly appreciated.

Cheers :D

So long as it's dry and no condensation, these mounts can operate in very cold temperatures - I doubt anything the UK can throw at it will be cause for concern. As you rightly say - a lot of folks keep them permanently mounted in outside obsy's :D

Thanks for your reply ;). I keep the NEQ6 in a cheap wheeley suitcase which helps the old back when moving this beasty. I may keep a one of those dehumidifying boxes in the case.

Thanks again for the advice. Crystal clear night tonight here in Kent but COLD!!

Cheers :D:D:D

• 1 year later...

I wish to go some further with this discussion. I leave my mount permanently in a box like structure. My main concern is not damp but high temperatures that we have here in Malta (Europe). Average summer temps climb up to 33 degrees C with max sometimes reaching 35 to 38 C. Now image my poor NEQ6 inside its enclosure. What I did to diminish accumulating heat is that I mounted some PC extractor fans that are controlled via a timer. At the peak of summer, I set them up to circulate air for over 12 hours or so (sunrise to sunset). I also painted my enclosure white to reduce heat accumulation.

Despite my measures, temperatures cannot get lower that the outside temperature and it may be that sometimes (yet to be confirmed) it could get even higher. Now my concern is this. Will the high temperatures damage the mount? If not, what about the grease around the worm wheels?

Any input is really appreciated as I do not want to damage my mount that I acquired a few weeks ago.

Clear Skies,

Stephen

I run the fans at full speed whenever it's sunny or not. This will ensure air circulation and fix the damp issue in winter. What I am concerned most is the grease around the worm wheels and damage to electronics due to high temperatures.

Can I ask if anyone store his mount in a "hot climate" experience some kind of repercussions due to high temperatures? I expect that high temperature will alter the viscosity of the grease around the worm wheels. Will that constrain me to re grease my mount annually?

Clear Skies,

Stephen

I used to store mine in the garage all year round with no ill effects. It's now in a shed obs, and has suffered -10 to +35 without a problem. I run a dehumidifier when it's not summer which helps. Gets covered in dew on some nights, so when the roof closes I let the dehumidifier deal with it and then I put the dust cover on it next day. The dehumidifier is timed to come on predawn and post sunset, and after a session.

Can I ask if anyone store his mount in a "hot climate" experience some kind of repercussions due to high temperatures?

Stephen, there must be hundreds of the Orion Atlas version of this mount in use in the desert states of the USA and I've never heard of any of the owners reporting heat-related issues.

Archived