NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

DID I BAG M42

robbie c

Hi all just got in after a great 3hrs spent about 30mins with the bins just looking around Jupiter looked great could see 3moons on show then came in and started playing about with stellarium just waiting for Orion to show its self, when I went back out there it was so thought now's my chance started looking for it with my bins and saw what looked like a small cloud so moved my scope round and lined it up with my view finder then I took a look in the ep saw 4 small stars in like a small square and what looked like a huge cloud around them although the moon was very bright I'v got to say it looked very impressive I'm just hoping it was M42. so I can tick it off my list after viewing it for about 20mins had another look at Jupiter and got to see 4moons on show it was starting to get cold by then so was just going to pack up when I saw Mars just above the horizon there was no mistaking that little red dot so had a quick look at that so that's another first for me then called it a night. :D

I've never seen the trapezium in bins - but thats a definite score on M42 - well done ;)

(which bins were they robbie?)

Hi brantuk

I'v got a cheap pair of miranda 16x50s that I got second hand on e-bay for £10.50 when I was looking for M42 I could just make out what looked like a small cloud,

I just saw a post in another thread that said if you get to see M42 you would have seen M43 as well is that right

p.s it might sound stupid but what's the trapezium :D

The trapezium refers to the near square shape the four main stars make at the centre of M42. It's of interest as there are in fact two other stars that can be seen amongst this group if the conditions are right and the scope is well collimated. M43 is just above M42 and is separted by a slight gap of 3'. It is very possible that you might have well seen it using your binoculars.

James

Archived