Dew Shield

I use both on my Celestron CPC925GPS. If dew isn't too bad the shield is sufficient to keep it off the corrector plate and you are not introducing any heat currents that may degrade the image. Plus a shield will help to keep any extraneous light off the corrector plate thus improving contrast. Ultimately though, on some nights, even a dew shield will not be sufficient to keep off any moisture, so a little regulated heat from a dew band may make the difference between observing or not.

Brinders

Hi mert,

I do not use my 10" lx without the dew shield, the corrector plate to dew is like doggie doo doos to flies!...I use a flexible tube, have a look on e-bay, astro buy & sell for one. I would not pay for the meade one!!

Occasionally use a dew heater but rarely as the shield is so good!.

Cheers

a dew shield will be plenty , i stay in lovley wet , cold and moisture filled scotland ,and i have never used a dew heater . i have 10" meade with corrector plate , never had a problem with dew .:rolleyes:

Wish I could say the same. Even with a dew shield I get moisture on the corrector plate on some winter evenings, particularly if the scope is pointing to the zenith.

I even got some on the corrector plate a coupe of weeks ago when imaging Jupiter. The evening started dry and so I forgot to turn the heater control up and couldn't understand at first why later on Jupiter was looking so hazy, until it dawned on me that it was the corrector plate fogging up! I do live close to a lake and the sea though, so maybe dew is a greater problem where I live. ;)

Brinders

• 3 weeks later...
a dew shield will be plenty , i stay in lovley wet , cold and moisture filled scotland ,and i have never used a dew heater . i have 10" meade with corrector plate , never had a problem with dew .:icon_salut:

No 'cos the rain clears it away before it can form on the corrector plate. :D:)

Archived