To Zoom Or Not To Zoom That Is The Question

I am comparing it to what came as EP's with my scope. Like I said at the minute, Im not going to be buying anything more than what I have , except perhaps a good book(Astronomy) for winter. I think I should perhaps learn a bit about the craft first before I commit any more cash.

I might however buy filters or a filter? as I have intentions to spend quite some time looking at the moon.

From what i hear, eyepieces that come with scopes are pretty bad. However, the long focal length of your scope will mean its a lot more forgiving.

I've heard both good and bad things about the Hyperion zoom eyepiece, seems that build and optics quality are good, but there are some issues with "kidney beaning" and poor eye relief at certain focal lengths.

I wouldn't know first hand though.

I have both the mk3 Hyperion zoom and some fixed focal length eyepieces as well and find that for quick sessions or if travelling where star gazing is not the main activity I use the zoom.

If at home or serious dark sky viewing I always use the fixed eyepieces.

The Hyperion zoom is miles better than the standard eyepieces supplied with your scope but not really in the same league to my fixed eyepieces.

The Hyperion zoom is very good for it's money and between 20-8mm the field of view is pretty large around 65-70 degrees which is very wide for a zoom eyepiece.

Image sharpness is very good. Only the very outer field is soft with a little field curvature.

Personally never had any issues with eye relief or eye positioning with this EP and my ED refractor.

Hi Yendor,

In general seperate ep's are better than zooms. However the Hyperion is a particularly good one. I have a cheap 8-24mm zoom and it is really good for the cost.

Also worth considering are the BST Explorer Ep's which are c£35 ea.

All of these would be a great leap up from the ones that come with your scope.

Cheers

Hi Yendor

Any zoom lens will have a degree of distortion over its zoom range; on some the distrotion is minimal on others it is more pronounced. You have decide whether the convenience of the zoom outweighs the possible distortion.

Zooms are probably better for looking at brighter objects (sure if I am wrong other members will correct me?) like the moon and larger planets. Generally separate eye pieces are better, depending on ones budget? With zooms you only have to carry one eye piece instead of the three or more single eye pieces you might have? I have found through experience a zoom is better for looking at the sun (via a Solarscope) than a single eye piece. My zoom eye piece is the Orion Explorer 11, 7-21mm range. Found it to be okay for the items I look at with it.

Peter

If you going to have one then the Baader Mk III is certainly one of the best ones taking into account its price. Zooms are no silver bullet, after all if they were that good, we would only be using these and nothing else. I wouldn't judge too harshly the eyepieces that came with the scope as although there is plenty of exotic glass out there (...and prices to match) the eyepieces supplied today are not that bad and certainly an improvement of what was supplied in the past. I find as with anything else, that certain advantages have to be paid for with compromises and one of these would be the available field of view, particularly at certain focal lengths which can be a little narrow. Another would be weight as the Baader zoom is a fair old lump which would certainly be noticed on a dobsonian or smaller scope.

Zooms are convenient in reducing the need to keep changing eyepieces (..useful when its cold), educational in helping you witness the effects of magnification in stretching the available light your scope collects and in helping you decide what future focal lengths best suite your scope when observing different targets. The Baader provides a view between its designated stops. I use mine mostly when observing the moon and to have the ability to 'frame' the view whilst flying over its surface is money well spent.

James

The two EP's which came with my scope seem ok? Good eye relief, I get a good image, at least of the moon with them. I have nothing to judge them against, and no experience to make a judgement of them.

I think maybe I'm leaning towards buying seperate EP's when money and experience allow. Thank you all for your input, so far...... There's so much to learn, and with the utmost respect something Ive learned thus far is that to experience things for myself is the way to learn best. Thats not to say I'm not appreciating the advice this forum offers, it's smashing how you guys all pitch in to help newcomers like myself. Thanks so much for that!!

Yendor, what you are saying is absolutely right. All we can do is advise from our experience and ultimately from our own perspective and there is never a better example than with eyepieces. There are technical points to raise which also include known advantages and disadvantages but "try before you buy" is the best advice on most things. When attending observation evenings organised by astro societies or observing groups, many beginners naturally focus on the scope and possibly the mount, but all too often never make a note of the eyepiece which can make quite a difference to viewing experience, particularly with the available field of view. Best of luck with what you choose and remember to examine the For Sale section when you have got to 50 posts as that will help you get hold of some good eyepiece at some good prices.

James

Thanks for that and can I perhaps ask another question with regard to EP's. I take it from your answers that I can use EP's from various manufacturers and not just Celestion. I realise this might be obvious to you guys, I'm just not confident yet and at least I can be looking out for a bargain perhaps. Hope this all makes perfect sense to one or another of you, and please tell me if I'm babbling. :-)

Not babbling at all, just asking good questions!

You'll find all kinds of advice on here about ep's to be honest. They vary massivly in cost, so you do have to be careful and probably try before you buy if at all possible!

Just get used to what you have and you'll soon get an idea of what you want in fiuture (you will honestly!)

Read up on the thread about ep's, which is a sticky in this forum, about what you may need to aim for, but don't get sucked into spending too much too soon!

Doc

At the minute, I'm not in a position to spend any money. It was indeed my plan to learn about my scope, get used to it and the way it works, and hopefully learn a bit about the things I'm viewing(If The Clouds Ever Lift LOLOL) In fact as I said in a earlier post I pretty satisfied with the EP's I have, I have no other experience to make a judgement call and say if they are good or bad. I just wanted confirmation that I can buy any make of EP's provided they were the correct fitting I think 1.25....... I have read the thread about EP's several times, and I will read it yet again till the information sinks in :-) Cheers

Hi Yendor,

No such thing as a stupid question just mistakes from not asking! All 1.25" eyepieces will fit 1.25" scopes. The Manufacturers try and tie you in to their products, but all you have to do is look at whats available and see a thriving third party supply of accessories, eyepieces, bits and bobs.

The most subjective in all these is the eyepieces, if you like what you have stick with them and get good use out of them. You have a nice scope, what we all want now is the cloud to shift!!

Cheers

Roger that Yendor! I should read the whole thread really, he he!

If only I was as sensible as you when I started out I wouldn't of spent way too much to get where I am now!!:rolleyes: I agree with you that the scope you have and the standard ep's you have will serve you well for the time being and you will learn a great deal. As Damnut says above all 1.25" ep's will fit in your scope and you'll be the one to decide what one(s) to go for when the time comes!

Doc

Not babbling at all, just asking good questions!

You'll find all kinds of advice on here about ep's to be honest. They vary massivly in cost, so you do have to be careful and probably try before you buy if at all possible!

Just get used to what you have and you'll soon get an idea of what you want in fiuture (you will honestly!)

Read up on the thread about ep's, which is a sticky in this forum, about what you may need to aim for, but don't get sucked into spending too much too soon!

Doc

Excellent advice.

LOL Space Beagle......... Sorry if my post came over as somewhat pedantic. It wasn't meant too. The written word isn't the greatest way of communicating thought and intent, on the whole it's pretty lacking. Body language, facial expressions and tone of voice are all needed to make good conversation. Never mind though. Your replies are muchly appreciated. I really must try to temper my scribblings so theyre a bit softer. AND NOW I"M WELL OFF TOPIC.....

I do think it's good advice to try before buying. I'm not sure how this can be achieved. Is there a way of trying EP's in a retail outlet, I really am naive. I guess maybe finding a friendly society, or joining in with a session at a local club would indeed help. My EP's the ones that came with the scope seem ok, my long term plan was to buy better quality, but start with purchasing other magnifications. I have a 9 and a 25 currently I was thinking perhaps an intermediate size first perhaps?

Hi Yendor

No probs pal, to be honest you sound very sensible in the way you are starting off in Astronomy - I wish I had been a few years ago, I would probably have saved a few pennies!:D

Other than, as you already know, finding a local(ish) Astro club to go and have a look through others ep's you could give Alan a bell at Sky's The Limit as he does a 'Buy & Try' scheme with some of the ep's he sells - seems like a good idea! Here's the link to the website: 1.25" Eyepieces

I'm not exactly sure what sort of size to go for ep's for your scope, but yes an intermediate size, maybe a 15mm or 18mm BST Explorer would be one to try. I have the 5mm and the 18mm from this range and they are both good ep's, The 18mm gets used more to be honest, mainly due to seeing conditions though! Good price and good performance, I reckon, and people will always buy them off you later if you decide to change.

Hope this helps, but I think you'll find what best suits you all in good time, so in the meantime i'd recommend just getting out there when you can, then enjoy and learn and be amazed at what you can see!;)

Doc

Archived