First scope that would support Astrophotography?

Hi missclio,

I honestly could not advise on a scope for astrophotography on your budget. Before taking the leap, have a look through the ap sections of the forum and see if there are any astro groups near you so that you can see what is involved and at what level you want to achieve.

Sorry to sound so neg but would not want to raise your expectations. The 130p is a good scope though.

See Telescopes for Astrophotography there is a book called 'making every photon count' which may interest you also.

Cheers

Many thanks for the advice, was doing some research earlier and discovered that astrophotography is not cheap! Just want an all round easy scope to use and set up and perhaps in future take a few pictures for own pleasure.

Great advice, many thanks

I know you've got a 130p, Luke so I know you'll speak favourably of it but it's a little basic.

I'd suggest a 200P solid tube dobsonian. An instrument big enough for instant beginner thrills and if you decide later to get into astrophotograpy then the addition of a decent mount like an HEQ5 or an EQ6 and a set of tube rings to convert it to "newtonian" would make the basis of an astrophotography set up.

A 130p is a bit small.

planetary astro imaging can be done very cheaply,just a converted webcam and some free software will get you started once you have the scope and mount.

you could always try the 2nd hand market for your scope,after 50 posts and 1 month membership on here you will have access to the buy/sell threads

the webcam -

Buy Philips Pre flashed SPC880 CCD webcam bundle at Morgan Computers

the software -

wxAstroCapture - Windows and linuX Astronomy Capture

Astro imaging usually requires expensive equatorial mounts, high grade telescope optics, and modified long exposure dslr cameras at least. The quality and accuracy required will be reflected in the price.

However, decent results can be obtained on the cheap particularly if going for second hand gear. But you do need to set your objectives and know what you're after, so there's a bit of a learning curve to begin with.

These days you can get a nice stable EQ5 or CG5 manual mount/tripod for around £100 s/h. A 150PL or 150P tube to go on it will be about the same cost (give or take £20). You can add an RA motor (new for £75) or about £50-£60 s/h, and a £30 webcam from Morgans (new). An alternative mount would be a Skywatcher alt/az tracking mount - £80-£95 s/h - which will take a 130P tube comfortably but is not as stable as the Equatorial models.

This will give you very reasonable results on moon and planets for around £300 (or less if you can negotiate well). All the required software for processing is free to download (eg Registax, wxAstroCapture, and Gimp). You might even get away with short (up to 20 secs), unguided exposures on a select few of the brighter deep sky objects.

So a little over your stated budget but probably the best way to get started in the dark art of astro photography :)

"Almost any telescope can take pictures. How good they turn out will depend on the quality of the equipment (and especially the mount), your own personal standards, level of expertise, and the amount of work you put into it learning and perfecting the craft."

As I found when I started out in photography the better/more expensive the kit is, the better potential it has for amazing quality images, but perfectly acceptable images can be shot with very cheap camera equipment in the hands of a knowledgable operator. Knowing the limitations of the gear and understanding how to use it to it's maximum potential is a skill set that can be perfected on entry level gear and will serve you well should you ever decide to invest in expensive optics/technology down the line. I had friends that had top of the line cameras and optic but probably used them to about 60% of their capabilities, they admit to having jumped in early and went for top end before they had acquired the basic craft.

---

I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.314925,-0.622564

Archived