Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Grab and Go Alt/Az mount recommendations

Dr. Phibes

Hi All,

I am looking for something quick and easy to put my Vixen A80MF refractor on. Focal length just shy of 1m and weighing about 5.5kg.

The Vixen mini porta mount/porta mount II would seem to be the natural choice. However, I am sure that I have read a review (here maybe but can't find it again!) stating that the scope doesn't balance too well and has a tendency to move downward slowly under its own weight. Also the AltAz controls look like some chunky knobs directly on the mount which would imply a degree of wobble when trying to do slow motion movements.

I appreciate that I am looking for quick/easy and light(ish), but does anyone own one of these, who can allay my possibly unjustified concerns, or is anyone able to recommend a decent AltAz which can cope with the scope weight and tube length.

Thanks in advance.

The Skywatcher AZ-4 is a pretty sturdy mount. Mine holds my 102mm F/6.5 Vixen refractor (7 1/2 lbs) rock steady and even copes with my 14 lb ED120 F/7.5 Skywatcher refractor well enough at up to 150x. My AZ-4 is used on either 1.75" or 2" steel tubed tripods so it's not the most "grab and go" mount there is, to be honest though :)

• 2 years later...

Archived