NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Pacman 60min sub in SII

Ant

Boy is SII faint in this...

I did a 5 minute sub and nothing came out :)

I then did a 15 minute sub and could just about make out the shape of the pacman.

So I thought in for a penny in for a pound!!! Lets try 60 minute subs.

I spend a little while earlier drift aligning using the method >>here<< it really is quite easy, I guess it took about 30 - 40 minutes. But now that I've done it once I think it'll be easier and quicker next time.

Happy with the dec graph, but the RA is still erratic and I'm not sure why...

Obviously this isn't a finished image, but you can see the sub in Maxim, with the next one coming down and also the phd screen/graph.

Need to do a flip in a sec then I'm going to take a few more :)

Ant

Thanks - I have to say that I really had no idea what to expect as the time slowly clicked away.

In theory once you get to around 5 or 10 minute subs, providing your polar alignment is good, there is no reason that I can think of that would stop you going longer and longer.

But a lot can go wrong in 60 minutes...

My goal last night was polar alignment, so the imaging wasn't top of the list but I did manage to get an image.

This shows one 900s sub in Ha, one 900s sub in OIII, one 900s sub in SII and a 3600s sub in SII.

They are all full of noise but serve the purpose they were taken for...

ant-albums-projects-picture13892-pacman-project-final-all.jpg

Cheers

Ant

Hi Guy,

ED80/H9 Ha(7nm) OIII(8.5nm) and SII(8nm)

I'm sure that there is more data there, but what I've posted is ONE sub through each NB filter.

I was attempting to see what NB data is visible - so one sub in each same length and stretched broadly to the same degree.

Only having one sub make pulling the detail out very difficult.

I posted this because I was chuffed at getting a 60 minute sub, not for the actual image itself.

Cheers

Ant

Mmn... sorry if I missed the equipment used but 900s should release more data..

I have a pile of 1200 seconds exposures that show pretty much the same as Ant has :)

Deserve a medal (or straight jacket!)

If Ant gets more hour long subs then he'll need s straight jacket... the despair that is his when a cloud/plane etc drifts over the sub in the 55th minute...:)

James

Mmn... sorry if I missed the equipment used but 900s should release more data..

Check this image f/6.7 900s

The Pacman Nebula - NGC 281

That said we haven't seen your combined image yet,... It appears from the web that the PACMAN isnt a good candidate for a NB target from the UK.. more an RGB target..

Sorry to say it Guy, but I disagree with everything mentioned there :rolleyes::o

The image you linked to is taken with a 200mm aperture, and has stacked exposures. There is simply no comparison to be made even though the f ratio is similar.

And as it goes, the SII emissions in the Pacman are amongst the brightest in most northern emission nebulae, I can think of many with a lot less than that! It is probably one of the best narrowband targets to start on, as there is good signal for each of the three filters.

Ant's files, even though taken using narrowband filters, will help to demonstrate the brightest RGB emission targets too, although RGB will not come close to revealing the detail and structure that narrowband does.

Should be an interesting comparision chart ;)

Cheers

Tim

Archived