Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Laptop control of Nexstar8GPS - how??

I'm looking to use Starry Night to control the NS8. I've got a couple of cables which came with Meade Autostar suite and the LPI. Both look like phone cables - one has 6 groves on each end and the other 4 grooves each end. I've also got an adapter to the serial port. Would one of these work?? :?

...or alternatively can anyone tell me if I try it can I do any damage if it doesn't work??

Thanks

Helen

You'll need the ASCOM drivers installed for a starts. Usually the serial to RJ45 (american phone jack) goes from the computers serial port (or serial to USB convertor) to the base of the hand controller. No idea if the meade cables are the same as the Celestron ones, I would say it's worth a go though. I doubt you would damage anything as there are no voltages going through the cables (well not much anyway)

Helen, if you have a serial adapter on the end of one of the cables, you should get a serial to usb adapter for it. There will be a driver supplied with it that you will need to load on to your laptop. Load the driver first, then connect the usb cable. The autostar software can do a search of the ports to identify the com port number. You will need an Ascom driver too, but if you loaded the Autostar software, that driver should be on the computer, but it would be wise to check for the latest updated driver.

http://www.ascom-standards.org/

Perhaps your best bet would be to go to the Ascom website and have a good look around for what you will need for your scope.

I know Meade have a site called Meade 4M, which Meade owners can join, there is a lot of help there. I don't Know about Celestron having a similar facility.

Perhaps Adam Hind could advise you better, or someone on SGL who is already doing what you want to do.

Good Luck.

Ron. :D

Archived