Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

eos ha clip and canon

Hello iv just recently modded my 450D so was looking at maybe getting a eos ha clip for it, not knowing a great deal about imaging with a ha filter, what kind of results could i expect? also is it true the moon and light pollution have no effect on the resultant image even from very light polluted skies?

The Ha filter is excellent, once you get used to focusing with it, which I found very tricky. I really enjoy the Ha filter and yes, it's fine in moonlight and light pollution too.

Here's a couple of pics with mine in the following threads.

Heart and soul

http://stargazeThe wizardrslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/146787-ngc7380-ha.html

Be aware, you will need some decent exposure times.

You can definitely get good results, look at the images above!

As said though, focussing is a bit tricky, instead of being able to use liveview, you might need to use 5 even 10sec exposures to get a star.

I only ever produced one image using mine:

5349143006_4d3535aa78_b.jpg

IC 1805 - The Heart Nebula (Ha) by Horizon Astro, on Flickr

That's 2x20min subs and 1x10min subs with a modded 450D

Jordan

Thanks for the replies, nice images by the way! what is the difference between the 12nm and the 6nm imagingwise? which one will give better results? also would a bahtinov mask be ok to focus as i have one already? Are ha images easy enough to blend in with normal images from my 450D? sorry for all the questions im knowledgeless about Ha imaging?

I use a bahtinov mask to focus with my filter, you really need a bright star to do it. I wondered long and hard about the 6nm or the 12nm and speaking to Bern at Modern Astronomy, it hust didn't seem that I would gain much benefit out of the 6nm and at a real premium price. The 12nm is a fun piece of kit. I understand that the 6nm will need longer exposures, you're already often at 10 mins +.

Don't know how to blend I'm afriad, never tried it!

Archived