Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Can a flextube be mounted on an eq mount?

Hello,

I am looking at buying either the Skywatcher flextube 10" or the full tube 10". I don't want to get the auto or goto.

The flextube looks more appealing to me for storage and transportation. But if I wanted to use it for imaging, is it possible to put on an EQ motorised mount? (Probably EQ5 or 6)?

I know this sounds like a daft question lol, but I have learned in this hobby that people are very resourceful and do manage to do things that may not seem possible. :)

Allie

.... I will still go for the flextube i think, for portability.

The Flextube's weigh the same as their solid tube counterparts although the "collapsible" tube does make them more compact to store. You will most likely need to invest in a light shroud as well with an "open" tube design.

Yes there's no weight saving with the Flextubes as they weigh just over 1 kg more than their solid tube versions.

You could mount one of these on a big EQ mount as they offer an optional dovetail for fitting to an EQ mount, but they are serious money. :)

Orion UP16 Premium UltraPortable Truss Dobsonian

http://www.scsastro.co.uk/catalogue/orion-up16-premium-ultraportable-truss-dobsonian.htm

John

Archived