Optics Cleaning ?

Hello fellow star gazers, i had a beginner question about cleaning my optics.

Last night was the first time i set up my brand new telescope and had a lot of fun, but about 30 min into observing my main optic lens on the tube had condensation and i was worried about wipeing it down with anything.

I ended up bringing the telescope indoors and let it dry out in the air and i put its cover back on.

I did clean my finder scope but i want to figure something out.

I know i can buy the heating strips and they sell the dew shields.

But if im on a budget what might you suggest ?

And if you have any experience with the heating strips or dew shield i would like to hear.

How could i clean my optics cheaply or until i am in the situation to upgrade.

Cleaning cloth ?

:)

Don't clean it. You can make a dew shield out of camping foam. Heaters will work but they controllers. Too much heat and you'll destroy the views. If you can rig up a CPU fan to blow over the lens then that will keep the dew at bay.

Bringing the scope back indoors will lead to condensation. Perhaps you have a cooler room to store it in? You could cap the scope outside and then bring it indoors. With the caps on you may well end up with no condensation. You can blow it clear with a hairdryer. Some people don't like the sound of that but I've never had a problem. Don't use a cloth on it.

9 times out of 10, rather than clean its just better to leave it. Bring the scope in doors and leave it with the main lens pointed down.

Yea , But i want to look at the stars :p

I was hoping that there might be something i can possibly wipe it with or clean, but i guess the condensation will just build up few minutes later.

Don't clean it. You can make a dew shield out of camping foam. Heaters will work but they controllers. Too much heat and you'll destroy the views. If you can rig up a CPU fan to blow over the lens then that will keep the dew at bay.

Bringing the scope back indoors will lead to condensation. Perhaps you have a cooler room to store it in? You could cap the scope outside and then bring it indoors. With the caps on you may well end up with no condensation. You can blow it clear with a hairdryer. Some people don't like the sound of that but I've never had a problem. Don't use a cloth on it.

Does the due shield totally block condensation from forming on the optics?

And does the do shield distort or blur the image?

I saw the controlled heater i want to get it eventually, the one with the adjustable heating control with multi plugins for heating strips, unfortunatly im not in the situation to get buy it at this moment.

I might be purchasing a compressed air canister to blow any dust off the lens.

I want to buy a cleaning cloth if there is any made specifically for telescope optics, but i do not know of any, any suggestions or experience?

I did think of using a computer fan mounted on the bottom and facing the optics, glad that someone else mentioned it.:)

But do they sell such things or are these mods preferably DIY.

I keep my scope indoors and it does not build up condensation, i have a fan blowing in my room , that probably helps.

I bring it outside when im ready to use it.

I bring it out in two parts, first the tripod then the telescope.

I was just hoping there might be a easy way to watch the stars and wonders of the universe without condensation ruining my night.

Should i bring some sort of fan with me? lol :)

A 12V hair dryer is useful, a DIY camping mat due shield will help stop a lot of condensation, I would recommend you do not use a compressed air can, these can sometimes blow condensed water out, a large photographic bulb blower with the brush removed will do the job, Baader Wonder fluid and cloth from FLO is a good investment for cleaning, 12V computer fans can be had from scrap Mother Boards, if you can't find one I will send you one, just PM me :)

John.

You could try taking the whole lot outside earlier in the evening, cover it up (bin liner will do) and wait for it to cool down before uncovering. This won't prevent dew build up but will certainly help reduce it. If you really must wipe you could try a microfibre cloth like the ones that come from the options for your specs. Apparently the theory is that the fibres are so closely woven that no dirt attaches to the cloth. Still doesn't account for anything that may already be on the lens though. :)

What type of scope is it?. I asume it's a Maksutov if it dews up within half an hour.I use a Maksutov and find that dewing times can vary depending on the weather. A basic dew shield will usually give you several hours of viewing. I am now considering heated dew straps. What ever you do don't be tempted to wipe the dew off I've seen some good scopes spoilt where people have done this.

As Vince says what scope is it?

To get a little alternative view I bet you clean your windows with all manner of chemicals yet they are still clear and not scratched.

My glasses have an antireflection coating, single layer MgFl I suspect. I have cleaned them for the past 5 years with tissue, paper towel's, assorted bits of shirt and god knows what else. Never used a propriety cleaning fluid, breath is all they have got. The antireflection coating is still there, hasn't worn away and the lens are the same as years ago, good and clear.

Maybe these optics aren't the delicated don't touch, look at or even think ogf breathing in their direction that they are made out to be. Guess what: I have heard the people assemble them!!!

I just installed a new secondary in my scope and it looked like it had been cleaned with a cotton bud by someone. I popped it under a microscope and I can quite clearly see scratches in the coating where it's been cleaned. These alone aren't going to affect the views, but if it keeps being cleaned this way then it will eventually be a problem. It's true, however, that lens coatings are much tougher than mirror coatings. The point is that if the telescope is handled correctly there will never be any need to physically clean the optics. The OP shouldn't be cleaning the optics just because they had dew on them.

OP: don't use compressed air cans. A big squeezy-bulb camera lens cleaner is better. The "Rocket Blowers" are good.

The dew-shield won't affect the views. The idea is that work by keeping the surface of the optic slightly warmer for longer. Also, they may semi-trap the air in there and stop it being replaced by new air containing more moisture. The dew-shield also acts as a light-shield and should help with the views.

You can make your own heater: Heaters

Archived