Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sun mares

Photosbykev

What should of been a great day with the sun turned into a mare of a day.

Firstly the EQ3 wouldn't connect to the mount, after faffing around with the laptop for 1/2 hour I decided to perform open heart surgery on the mount because I could see the RS232 lines weren't behaving correctly. Eventually I tracked it down to a dry solder joint inside the mount but it cost me two hours lol

Secondly, after 5 hours of playing with the sun running mosaics and timelapse sequences I managed to perform a 3 and a half twist with back flip dive down the patio steps. Personally I think it should of scored 10/10 but I totalled my laptop so it probably would of been marked down to maybe 7/10. The only stuff I managed to salvage was a test image and a sequence I had stored on an external HD.

This is the single H-a image processed on my main computer from a 1 minute video off a DMK41 and x2.5 Powermate. Full of Newton rings which flats/darks didn't help with, so some more playing with the optics required which with this weather would of been perfect for testing. The timelapse may or may not be posted later lol

single-20110928094824_pp.jpg

all in all an expensive play day :p

And they say that being an amateur astronomer is "boring"!!

Hope you can get up and running again soon. You're achieving spectacular results with the PST just think what you could do with a 80mm mod!!!

I'm already transferring the old HD into a replacement laptop which I bought this afternoon, I'll sort the insurance out later lol . To be honest these were the first significant problems I've had so maybe I was due one :p

The mod is high on my priority list, I have my eye on an 80mm Vixen scope at the moment but I'm open to alternatives ;)

Ouch!!! I feel your pain Kev!

How are you getting your flats? Unusual they're not behaving themselves...

*cough cough - drifting the image will dither them away!*

Hi Mark,

the flats were a detuned area of the sun, I've also started shooting 1 minute videos which give me about 900 frames at a cost of 1Gb / minute lol.

I know I can dither the image but the software I'm using to control the mount to track features on the sun is very accurate and it would defeat the idea behind the software so I'm looking for a mechanical/optical correction to resolve the problem.

Hi Mark,

the flats were a detuned area of the sun, I've also started shooting 1 minute videos which give me about 900 frames at a cost of 1Gb / minute lol.

I know I can dither the image but the software I'm using to control the mount to track features on the sun is very accurate and it would defeat the idea behind the software so I'm looking for a mechanical/optical correction to resolve the problem.

When you say 'detuned' do you mean you detuned the etalon or threw the PST out of focus after getting the etalon tuned?

Genuinely mate you should give the dithering a run for its money at some point :p

When you say 'detuned' do you mean you detuned the etalon or threw the PST out of focus after getting the etalon tuned?

Genuinely mate you should give the dithering a run for its money at some point ;)

I defocussed the scope Mark. When I get time I'll accurately polar align the mount and do some runs unguided with the sun drifting slightly but it isn't the cure it's just a workaround :p

Archived