Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My best night yet

robbie c

What a fantastic night I had it was the best night I have had so far since I first got my scope not a cloud to be seen and so many stars when I first got my scope in June I was blown away when I saw Saturn but it was quite low in the night sky then, but Jupiter last night was something else I had seen it before but never like that it just looked amazing I could not believe how much better it looked with nice clear sky's and no moon there was so much detail and 4 moons, I think I also got to see M31 for the first time the Andromeda Galaxy it was just above Jupiter it was a tiny smuge with what seemed to be a haze around it I hope it was as that will be my first Galaxy {someone tell me if I'm wrong} I also spent some time looking at the sky with my bins as there was so much to see then just as I decided to call it a night I turned around just in time to see what I think was a meteorite disappear low in the west, why oh why can't we have more nights like this :p:D:D

Hi there.

Glad you had a great night.

Sorry to say but I think you will find M31 would be around 25 to 30 degrees further east of Jupiter.

Mind I could be wrong as you are a lot further south than me.

There will be a lot better informed people on here than me who will probably tell you exactly what you were looking at though.

Hi there.

Glad you had a great night.

Sorry to say but I think you will find M31 would be around 25 to 30 degrees further east of Jupiter.

Mind I could be wrong as you are a lot further south than me.

There will be a lot better informed people on here than me who will probably tell you exactly what you were looking at though.

I was looking at a line of 3 stars and it was the one in the middle don't know if that helps

Hi again.

Means nothing to me I'm afraid.

Still learning my way around the skies as well.

I only know about M31 because I found it for the first time two nights ago and was looking for it again last night.

With the scope pointed where M31 is Jupiter is way off to the right (south) of me.

I think you are correct, it was M31. Forget (for the moment) all the techi stuff about degrees and stuff, last night for about an hour M31 was above Jupiter as you see it in real life but it would also have been to the left too.

Glad you got to see it. If you have more clear skies now is a good time to see M31, as it reaches Zenith at a reasonable time.

hi from me ,sounds like you had a good night i was cluster hunting for a few hours found about 20,Jupiter was clear last night around 02:00 it was high and out the way i got some video

glad you had a good night many more to come Orion is on its way that will excite the new scope owners

Thanks Alan have try'd it downloads but for some reason when I click on it nothing comes up have try'd several times but no luck so been using star walk on my i-phone

Strange it won't download for you?

Perhaps your computer is reading it as a threat? you should be able to disable an option for downloading on windows so it will then allow it to run.

Sounds like a brilliant night. Jupiter is always great, and no matter how often I have seen it, M31 is an awesome sight. If you can find it again, try looking for smaller smudges above and below M31. In my 8" scope at 50x magnification I can get all three in one field of view with a super-wide-angle EP. Three galaxies (M31, M32, and M110) for the price of one. At lower magnification it should be easier still.

Clear skies!

Archived