NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dark mark in Jupiter's atmosphere?

george7378

I'm loving the dark ovals on the northern cusp of the NEB. When you study the one at about CM 265 degrees you can see it has some lighter material enfolded around its southern edge. I also spotted a darker preceeding tail of material into the NEB from it at the weekend in my 16" :p

I'm loving the dark ovals on the northern cusp of the NEB. When you study the one at about CM 265 degrees you can see it has some lighter material enfolded around its southern edge. I also spotted a darker preceeding tail of material into the NEB from it at the weekend in my 16" ;)

I agree Seb - I'm finding them more interesting than the GRS at the moment. Tracking their rotation rate compared with other features is interesting too. Jupiter just gives so much interest and changes literally as you observe :p

Both have been showing well for me, I used my newish 13mm Ethos with the 925 this morning, the larger of the two is very black to my eye although its partner is still dark all the same. I did make out 4 bands on the planet although I suspect I may have seen others fleetingly but was not too sure so will have to try again, had some stable views of the moons with Ganymede in particular showing a nice disc, not seen it look that good too many times.

Am hopeful of some more views like this over the next few nights.

Archived