NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Did I see Sirius B?

Rahul Zota

Hi all,

I just bought 10-inch f/4.7 Sky-watcher Dobsonian and I put it to the test this morning before dawn. When I pointed it to Sirius operating at 120x I saw an 8th magnitude star next to it. The main star was showing beautiful four spikes and the fainter star next to Sirius was within the length of the spike. Was this Sirius B? I actually don't know what is the current position and separation of Sirius B. Can anyone help?

You are very fortunate if you saw it against the glare of Sirius, although many amateurs have observed it, and congratulations to you if you have seen it.:glasses2:

Most observers of the Pup need an occulting bar to block the brightness of Sirius itself..

I would repeat your observations to be absolutely certain.

Sirius A & B orbit their common centre of gravity once every 50 years.

Ron.

Hi Ron, I think I have to make another observation if you say it is difficult to spot it due to the main star's glare. As mentioned in the first reply, Sirius B is 9.4" away from Sirius A at 86.4 degrees. The star I saw was about 8th mag in brightness and was very close to the primary.

Finally I have come to know what I saw! It wasn't Sirius B but a ghost image of the bright Sirius!! I knew this when I moved the telescope to the next field. The ghost moved in the different direction than the stars. I then pointed the telescope to Procyon and saw the same thing very close to the star! I was fooled by the ghost!!! :glasses2::eek::rolleyes:

Here is a thread from not to long ago regarding attempts by some SGL members to see Sirius B:

http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-imaging-double-variable-stars/125968-sirius-b.html

I believe it was spotted by some members at this years SGL star party using a 10" Orion Optics maksutov-cassegrain.

From my own (unsuccessful) attempts so far I reckon the trick is to get high magnification (ie: 250x or more) and a very tight star image for Sirius A with the glare from that very tightly controlled or even masked using an occulting device as discussed in the above thread.

It's a really tough challenge I believe.

Archived