OIII Filter and DSO Eyepiece

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Baader O-III or Baader UHC-S, they are probably the better at a reasonable cost at FLO I believe.

First Light Optics - Baader OIII Filter

First Light Optics - Baader UHC-S Filter

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/light-pollution-reduction/baader-neodymium-filter.html

I'm not pimping FLO, just they are cheaper then other suppliers I found with no extra shipping, if others are cheaper, they get the linky :glasses2:

Skywatcher is cheaper than Baader but given the quality of their stock eyepieces, I avoid them as Baader isn't much more expensive (unless you go to the imaging ones).

For eyepieces, the Revelation kit's are very good value, and very good optics for their price.

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/Revelation_Photo_Visual_Eyepiece_Kit.html Cheaper than FLO once you factor in delivery, Telescope House also have a prize draw weekly on currently :rolleyes:

Unless your light pollution is quite bad you can see lots of nebulae, galaxies and clusters without a filter - I have an O-III filter but I only use it on a handful of nebulae - I prefer the unfiltered view most of the time.

As for the eyepiece then I'd look for a 32mm 2" eyepiece for the larger DSO's and locating the smaller ones and something like a 15mm perhaps for the more compact ones. Which eyepiece depends on your budget of course.

If you do go for a filter in due course think about a 2" one (something like the Castell or Skywatcher UHC or O-III). You can then use it with your 2" eyepiece, which you will want to do !.

I know what you mean: the views without a filter are brighter and more pleasant on the brighter emission nebulae. M42, M27, M57, all look great with no filter. Those with lower surface brightness, however, really come to life with the appropriate filter. It may make the difference between visible and invisible. Even under a genuinely dark sky, I will stick in the OIII filter when looking at the veil nebula.

The Veil is great in the Baader O111 and without it I can't see the Rosette at all but, like John and the others, I don't often use it and prefer no filter. I wonder if you are looking in the right places or if your LP is the real culrit? As Orion rises have a look for M42 which should be as bright as day for you.

Olly

I use an APM UHC filter, which bagged me the Pelican and the Veil with my 80mm scope (I could make out part of the Veil without). I use it frequently for emission nebulae, but don't for galaxies or refection nebulae (LPR sometimes, but not UHC). I have not got an OIII but that is more restrictive.

As other's have said, a 10" scope should show plenty of fuzzies, unless LP is horrendous.

Since all I can see through my 250px is stars I need a nebula filter so I can find them! Or LP filter, maybe both! I also need a not to expensive DSO eyepiece.

Suggestions welcome,

hi george , the 250 dob is a cracking big scope , im quite sure that even from a city with lp , you should be able to see some of the brightest dso`s , do you use a telrad ? dumbell nebula and the ring nebula good just now , m 31 is very visible now the moon is waning , m13 hercules cluster ,m34 , aiberio is a great double star , when seen through a scope like yours, star A is amber and star B is blue green , and jupiter is looking so good just now , it is the super bright "star" to the east about 11pm . good lick and good hunting , :glasses2:

Going back and re-reading the first post, I think Tom and Haggis are on the right track. It sounds like you need help finding the objects rather than new eyepieces or filters. Those can come later, but first you need to find stuff. As Haggis says, a Telrad will be very useful to you. A good star atlas and a book, such as Turn Left at Orion, would also help. First learn to find the objects Haggis mentions then see how you feel.

How bad is your light pollution? Those objects will all punch through the light pollution. I would add the Double Cluster to that list. It's in the same vicinity as M34 and M31. Eta cassiopeiae is another nice colour-contrast double star. Also famous is the "double-double", a quadruple star system, in Lyra.

Sorry did not want to come across as dismissive but its best to learn to walk before trying to run. :glasses2:

It can be very overwhelming at first trying to locate stuff. A good book will help you find the easier targets and give you the experience of learning to star hop. As mentioned a telrad should be mandatory for all scopes.

I frequently find most brighter objects with just a red dot finder and a star map.

Cheers.

Not knowing your past experience but since you only picked your scope up a couple of days ago (I was watching that very same auction on eBay) I would hang fire for a few months before spending any more money on upgrades :glasses2:

A good star atlas and a telrad would be all I would suggest.

Cheers.

Not knowing your past experience but since you only picked your scope up a couple of days ago (I was watching that very same auction on eBay) I would hang fire for a few months before spending any more money on upgrades :glasses2:

A good star atlas and a telrad would be all I would suggest.

The telrad is a good choice. A good right-angle correct-image (RACI) finder comes next in line, I would say. The Telrad helps you find objects with naked eye guide stars nearby, the RACI finder makes life so much easier when the stars close to the target are faint. I built a 16x70 finder from a cheap 70mm F/5 achromat, some build them out of defunct 10x50 binoculars. I have found so many more objects with that massive finder. Having the image the right way up also helps enormously. A good star atlas is indispensable.

yep the guys posts above are all spot on , the objects are up thier all right i just takes some time to find your way about the stars and to start locating dso`s and other fuzzies ! going along to a local astro club is a good idea . star hopping is a technique that takes time paitence (and a telrad !) but once you find a fuzzie ,and you think "no it cant be " so you check ....and yep its really andromeda , you will be hooked .

also going stargazing with someone that knows there way around will make a big differance . most dob fans seem to have a built in goto lol (no offence guys !) , a friend of mine can have his 14" dob out the back of car , assembled , and be viewing fuzzies before i even have my mount level on my meade , never mind a two star aligment done !! i never hear the end of it lol

so dont give up george , the constellation orion will start to be easily visible in the next few months , it has a wealth of good stuff to view in and around it , so get some practice time in just now ! you will love M42 through the 10"scope , :glasses2:

George stick with it , it can be tricky at first , and you will think "this is not working ,no chance" but it will !! have you looked through a telrad finder , google it and see what you think , its a glass veiwfinder with a red bullseye in middle and two rings around this , the center bull is half a degree across, roughly the same as a telescope , the inner ring covers two degres and the outer 4 degress , so you can use the scale on a star map to judge very accuratly where the fuzzies are , it takes a little prcatice , but using bright stars as routemarkers with the telrad makes a world of difference .

I agree with others and targets such as M27, M57, M45, M31, M13, M92, M2 and many open clusters will be great in your scope.

the Castell filters are good, I have an Oiii and UHC 2". I also prefer the unfiltered view if I can get away with it.

personally, a redt dot finder (preferably a Telrad) will always be my first purchase with a new scope. I have two Telrads and a Baader Skysurfer 3, one for each of my dobs and the Baader for my refractor. definitely cannot be without them.

Archived