NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

New Scope - I'm back!!

I now have a 4" Refractor after having to sell my beloved C8 recently!!.. I've bought the Vixen 102M from Russ, it seems a nice scope with semi-Apo performance (more later with pictures).

I'm looking to now buy either a Contrast Booster filter or Neodymium filter for moon and sky glow?. which one?.

Rob

:D

Ok Steve... I have no fringe issues with this scope.. at all!. Its almost ED100 quality (really). I want to enhance the sky image for DSO observing with this small apature.

Cheers

Rob

Ok Steve... I have no fringe issues with this scope.. at all!. Its almost ED100 quality (really). I want to enhance the sky image for DSO observing with this small apature.

Cheers

Rob

If it's one of the orginal Japanese ones then I agree - very well corrected scopes. I used to own an SP102M and wish I still had it. The TAL100 was similarly well corrected as well.

For DSO observing you might want to consider a Baader UHC-S filter. I hve used one very successfully with an ED100 and ED80. They are not as severe as some UHC filters but really do enhance DSO's - particularly nebulae as you would expect. I was able to pick out the Veil using one of these with both the ED100 and the ED80 from my back garden which is far from a "streetlight free zone".

John

It is indeed a Japan model.. I have the small plate on the side of the scope with its identity number stamped in it!!... :D

Right I have some filters on trial (for review) and will give them a go.. I was concerned over aperture with using them TBH.. but hey. I'll give it a go!.

I have the baader UHC-S & the OIII

Cheers

Rob

Rob, give the UHC-S a try, as John says, they are not as severe as some. Failing that go for the Neodymium. It's the least severe of the lot. Just blackens the background sky without altering the colour. And you are not losing too much of that precious light. Plus it's dirt cheap.

John, it's the same model as you had, the SP102M. So close to the ED100 in performance.

Russ

Archived