SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The Milky Way From The Top of The World

Stephen

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Strangely enough, I saw a satellite photo of Asia the other day, showing all the city lights at night (something like this). India was lit up like a christmas tree all over, and the rest of Asia was as you'd imagine - blotches of light around the major cities etc...

The most amazing thing about it though, was the HUGE pitch black area on the Tibetan plateau. I had been looking up light pollution maps earlier that evening and found my area to be pretty good, but i couldn't help but think that smack bang in the middle of that plateau, would be views that people haven't seen for decades.

I mean i know there is some trickery with these pics being long exposures/stacks/photoshopping etc, but even to the naked eye, i bet that place is breathtaking (no pun intended) :glasses2:

I hope i get to go there some day, and experience a world with no light pollution.

Edit: on top of the lack of light pollution, i bet the atmosphere is crystal clear at that altitude too :rolleyes:

Strangely enough, I saw a satellite photo of Asia the other day, showing all the city lights at night (something like this). India was lit up like a christmas tree all over, and the rest of Asia was as you'd imagine - blotches of light around the major cities etc...

The most amazing thing about it though, was the HUGE pitch black area on the Tibetan plateau. I had been looking up light pollution maps earlier that evening and found my area to be pretty good, but i couldn't help but think that smack bang in the middle of that plateau, would be views that people haven't seen for decades.

I mean i know there is some trickery with these pics being long exposures/stacks/photoshopping etc, but even to the naked eye, i bet that place is breathtaking (no pun intended) :glasses2:

I hope i get to go there some day, and experience a world with no light pollution.

Edit: on top of the lack of light pollution, i bet the atmosphere is crystal clear at that altitude too :rolleyes:

The plateau is certainly an interesting and extreme place- four times the area of France, average altitude over 4500m (5000m in some regions), low rainfall (falls as snow or hail), very sparsley populated (a few more people than Antartica & Northern Greenland). A dark sky astronomy paradise?

Archived