Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

C11 XLT with CG-5

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying my second scope for planetary and smaller deep-sky objects. My budget has enlarged a bit recently, but I'm struggling to justify buying the C11 with CG-5 because basically, I'm worried the mount is on the edge of its usable load and piggy-packing my 127 Mak or using it with my DSLR would tip it well over the edge.

Would it be more sensible to buy, say, an NEQ6 and then save again for the big 'scope?

Any help gratefully received.

Thanks in advance,

Piers

I think you'd get away with planetary imaging, just, but not deep sky/long exposure. Personally I wouldn't be itching to image the DS with an EQ6 at that sort of focal length either, on the grounds of tracking accuracy, but opinion varies on this. The issues are under discussion here as well;

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussions-help-mounts/155007-cgem-vs-neq6pro.html

Olly

ollypenrice's Photos

Hi Piers,

I've had a C11 for a few months. It's size and weight are manageable, but I wouldn't mount it on anything less than my EQ6, even without piggybacking extra kit.

Once collimated, it's a fine scope and does a good job of DSOs. I haven't had many chances to put it though its paces on dark nights, but it has shown me good detail on M17, M27, M57 and M13. They are easy targets anyway, but the C11 makes them easier.

For planetary, my refractor does a better job by a long way.

Thanks for the link Olly, It's made me reconsider the 11. I may be biting off more than I can chew there, the price for the recommended CGEM DX is far beyond my pocket.

26Left, I've considered refractors but have little experience other than a cheap Tasco 60mmm when I was a child. I'm seriously considering an NEQ6 as a first step.

Further question for all: Would the Baader SteelTrack focuser for SCT work on my Mak? IT AHS A 2" Thread on the back.

If so, in conjunction with a Bahtinov mask for fine tuning, would I be better off with an NEQ6 and SteelTrack and sticking with my existing 'scope for the time being? It would certainly be an awful lot cheaper and leave me some money for perhaps an dedicated CCD imaging camera?

Thanks again,

Piers

Hi Merlin,

If I'm honest I feel the focuser in the Mak is a little imprecise. I struggle to fine-adjust to my satisfaction. I've been in touch with FLO and they've told me the same thing- the SCT fitting has an adaptor and would fit with no trouble.

Truth be told I'm trying to get the best out of what I have, and now I'm turning more firmly to just upgrading the mount I'd like to spend some money getting the Mak to optimum performance!

Unless anyone has a good suggestion? I have looked at the 200P DS options on EQ5 Pro Synscan but think it a little cumbersome to keep lugging out to the patio. I don't yet have an observatory/shed!

For planetary imaging C11 is one cool scope. You need some decent seeing to use C11, but it should be doable :) I put C11 on HEQ5 and that work too. Just to limit the overall weight I've inserted extended counterweight shaft - so less counterweights is needed to balance it. It's even guidable for DS imaging, although it gives to high resolution even with reducers for a semi sized pixels.

In winter, when you put the scope for out to cool down it may take long (~3h), so I use home-made fan cooler to shorten the process (1h). For planetary/lunar/solar it needs motocryford or motofocus (makes focusing vastly easier). For serious high resolution planetary imaging such big apertures also get easily limited by atmospheric dispersion - so a ADC (corrector) is starting to be required :) It's a challenge, but it's doable.

I'm dreadfully confused now. I'd (sort of) decided to stick with the 127 Mak and upgrade the mount and focuser as a compromise.

I may just drive to my local store (F1Telescopes) and loiter there until my wallet comes undone...

I'm dreadfully confused now. I'd (sort of) decided to stick with the 127 Mak and upgrade the mount and focuser as a compromise.

I may just drive to my local store (F1Telescopes) and loiter there until my wallet comes undone...

No, do A LOT of homework first and clarify your intended projects!! Otherwise it will be wallet suicide.

Olly

No, do A LOT of homework first and clarify your intended projects!! Otherwise it will be wallet suicide.

Olly

I agree. And don't rule out second-hand. Astronomers tend to look after their equipment and there can be bargains to be had if you're patient. I rarely buy new.

Archived