NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First Light SW 200 Flexi Dob AUTO

Received a new SW 200 Flexi Dob AUTO yesterday and was not long before I got down to assembling the base. Did not take long, made a setting circle and added some kitchen unit legs for leveling. Did a quick check indoors of the Motors(They worked) and waited for darkness.

Got it all outside, levelled and Latitude set to 51 as per instructions.

Picked out Altair and hit the Guide and Slow buttons to activeate the Tracking as othing happened. Read the instructions again and did everything as the book but still nothing.

The motore were working in Slew Mode so I knew there was power and everything was happening on the handset (Flashing Light)

Did the last movement slewing Right/UP as per instructions still nothing.

Was Cursing now and not best pleased so called it a night and took it all inside.

Logged into SGL and did a search and soon foiund out others had the same problem with there 200 Auto's. Read some posts and decided to go to bed and do some investigations in the morning.

This morning checked the Backlash on the AZ motor and it must have had about 1.5 degrees of movement at the base. run that out over a couple of Lightyears and that is a lot of movement, Of came the cover and soon saw the Gears were not in full mesh, 2 screws adjusted and backlash was down to about .25 degree. Switched the power on and found a distant object and within a couple of seconds it was tracking.

Next i checked the ALT motor and on removing the cover so found that the whole motor mounting was loose with only one of the two screws ant where near full in, the other was completly loose. Tightrn that up, adjusted the Tension Nut a little bit and that seemed to stop the OTA flopping up and down. Will replace the **** grease with something a bit more suitable in due course. and maybe change the screws holding the ALT motor for some nuts and bolts.

I know that these are made in China but in all honest I was discussed with the quality of this NEW Scope. It did not do what it said it it would do without making these repairs. Not Impressed.

• 5 months later...

This morning checked the Backlash on the AZ motor and it must have had about 1.5 degrees of movement at the base. run that out over a couple of Lightyears and that is a lot of movement,

Of came the cover and soon saw the Gears were not in full mesh, 2 screws adjusted and backlash was down to about .25 degree.

Next i checked the ALT motor and on removing the cover so found that the whole motor mounting was loose with only one of the two screws ant where near full in, the other was completly loose. Tightrn that up, adjusted the Tension Nut a little bit and that seemed to stop the OTA flopping up and down.

I don't suppose you might be able to take a few photos and post them for clarity? :)

Thank you Valleyman and Tomlines for posting this information. I could not decide between the SW 250 goto and the Orion 10g, i think actual users issues will steer me towards the Orion.

Archived