Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What 12v Sealed lead acid battery

Hi Guys

My maplins 12v jump starter has finally packed up.

(my fault for not recharging regularly) :(

Anyway, would it be better if i were to purchase a 12v sealed lead acid battery in lieu of another 12v jump starter ?

I principally run my HEQ5 drive motors and my Canon 450D for imaging.

I already have a 3 socket 12v lead and was hoping that (if the 12v sealed lead acid battery was a better option) i could purely connect this to the terminals of the battery.

Does anyone have a lead to a suitable supplier of these batteries?

thanks

Graham

Hi Graham, These are not cheap but you get what you pay for and they last for years if maintained correctly. Buy Lead Acid Rechargeable Batteries Genesis EP 12V lead-acid battery,16Ah Enersys G12V16EP online from RS for next day delivery. I do not think it shows the correct picture as these I get fit inside a car starter , like the maplins one. I have used this make for many years. I also suggest the optimate 4 charger and conditioner as they are able to breath life into a depleted battery. If you know of a mobility scooter they run on this type as well but normally much cheaper and a lower quality.

Yuasa is a reputable brand, and their batteries actually do deliver the Amp*Hours they say on the tin! However, because their capacities are genuine, they don't come cheap.

What I did was to get a 7Ah battery and build a small wooden enclosure from 6mm plywood and some 20mm timber on the corners to hold it all together. On the top of that I put some "cigarette lighter" connectors that I picked up off eBay for £couple. It's not the prettiest, but it does the job.

I don't think I'd want to use the battery "naked" as the trailing wires from its terminals would be a hazard at night - you might trip over them, or they'd get tangled in the dark. Also, you don't want to let any metal objects get too close tot he exposed terminals. Those batteries can have a very large short-circuit current that could do damage, start fires etc. (esp. if they shorted out in your car, while carrying them).

Archived