So I've managed to say hello, Now to start the scope hunting!

Hey guys,

I joined the forum last night after staring at it for about a day. I love astronomy and always try to make time to go out several times a month. The problem is I only have my eyes and in a need of my first scope!

I've done a lot of thinking and spent all of last night researching scopes from the very basic things and starting to look at a few models. My initial budget is around £350 - £400 (flexible) and I'm pretty certain it's a Reflector that I'm after.

I think the Go-To mount is handy, can I still use this manually?? Ultimately I want the scope to last several years and to be able to eventually hook my Canon 450D (soon to be 600D) up to it.

I have one telescope that really stands out from my initial "window shopping" It's the Celestron NexStar 130 SLT. This seems to be able to do many things I want it to do and the built on database seems like it would be very helpful with a GPS add-on if I ever have trouble. I was recommended binos and will happily pick up a pair of these too.

Please, please, please can someone let me know if this sort if thing will be okay? I was blown away with the Sky Watcher 200p EQ5 from my magazine. I just don't know which will be better as this seems over kill and I know nothing. What features does the NexStar have that may be handy for me, am I on the right wavelength?

Many Thanks! I look forward to contributing to this forum as I develop over the next few months! :(

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've just come across that model this minute, looks promising. I've read the mount is slightly better, are you able to describe a few differences between the two? It would help my understanding greatly.

Also is it possible to add the Go-To feature at a later date? I mean as a beginner I can only assume this feature would be very helpful helping me as I start. Is it costly to add?

Sorry for all the questions. So excited that they all keep floating around my head. :(

Hi and welcome!

The 130 SLT haves a alt az mount (moves up-down and left-right) while an Equatorial mount (EQ) rotates in an axys parallel to the Earth's rotation, thus allowing you to null that rotation and keep objects steady in view for long exposures without trails.

If astro-photography is a goal then an Equatorial mount is mandatory.

The 150p will allow more light in and will help see more when observing visually.

This setup, with the proper motors on the EQ will allow you to get a taste of the hobby but you should have realistic expectations about it. The usual cheapest setup for quality astroimaging usually gets you back 1000 to 1500€, depending on what you can get 2nd hand.

I would seriously recommend you reading the book "Making Every Photon Count" before buying, so you can have an idea of all the available technics, as the one you choose may require different equipment and investment.

I would recommend the 150P, a lot of bang for your buck on an EQ mount, can be upgraded later, but get the book mentioned above, indepensible if you want to get into photography later. I am a visual observer myself and the 150P will serve you well.

Excellent, Well the 150p from all the advice sounds like the one to go for. I'll do some book shopping on Amazon today, I think theres a few I've read on the forums here being recommended so will try to pick one or two to start with.

Although this may seem given to you guys but what do the motors do? If I have a goal to start with of a 150P on an EQ mount I can start researching the model now. I'm a little unsure of the difference between an EQ3 and an EQ5.

Will attempt a little online research now!

An EQ5 mount is sturdier and has a higher weight capacity than an EQ3. The 150P should be fine on an EQ3 (or EQ3-2 to give it it's full title) but if you wanted to upgrade to a larger scope, you would probably need to upgrade the mount too.

Brilliant! I've just researched the two mounts and I have to say the EQ5 is the better option for me as will have room for growth if I ever upgrade. Sadly the 150 seems to be mostly bundled with the EQ3.

I have looked on the sponsors website from a thread I found on here from 2010 and was just seeking more clarification on the difference between the 150P and the 150PL. They are very similar in price from what I have seen.

As a general rule the shorter focal ratios (f/3-f/5) are good for deep sky objects while longer focal ratios (f/10-f/15) are good for lunar, planetary and stellar viewing. The f/6-f/9 ratios are between the two so are the most suited for the general all-round viewing experience.

The Newt is suited to general viewing and the f/5 focal ratio means that it will be very good on deep sky stuff and good on planetary etc. The f/8 is more suited to planetary but will still show deep sky. As an indicator, most of the 150s I've seen used have been the f/5 model.

Hope this helps. If in doubt hold off buying one until you have used a range of scopes via your local astro group. That way you will have a better idea of the sort of viewing you are happy with.

Very good explanations. Over the past two days I've learnt to slow down considerably and not rush into a purchase. Although I'm very excited to own a scope I must understand the basics first and I'm only scratching the surface.

I've spent many an hour on here reading old threads and surfing the net researching.

I very much appreciate the advice on this thread. It's a little sad that I may not be able to get any SyncScan Goto feature as it sounds like it would help so much more if I get stuck. How does this work exactly as it's not completely out of reach.

I'm not that up on the various GOTO systems but they work in basically the same way - by choosing a number of objects to fix on and get reference points for the internal computer. The system compares the angles and distances of the chosen objects against its own starmap and aligns itself to your location (as those angles and distances will differ depending on whereabouts you are on Earth.

BTW SGL, if I'm getting any of this wrong then please feel free to correct me!

I am not keen on GOTO as I have seen users spend more time on setting them up and getting it right whilst they could be stargazing, for me they would be more trouble than they are worth. The new 'Prodigy' telescopes from Celestron look easier as all you do is just turn them on and they align themselves: Celestron SkyProdigy Self-Aligning Telescopes | The Smartest Telescopes In The Universe I must admit, I am a manual user and much prefer to learn the night sky and star-hop.

Humm thats good to know. Well I can leave this feature and just focus my budget on the scope and the mount. Excellent. I was quite worried about that.

Do I still need a motor? I've researched single and dual with not much price difference between them.

Hi

I hope you don't mind if I make a suggestion. Given your budget and the fact this will be your first scope maybe it would be best if you started out with the basic SW 150P and the EQ3-2 mount. This will allow you to start skywatching straight away (clouds allowing). Invest in a starmap / planesphere and a red light torch so that you can preserve your (and others') night vision when you locate objects via the maps. Another useful accessory would be a cheshire collimation eyepiece to keep your Newt in tip-top visual condition. The following link should give you some idea of what you can get for your money: First Light Optics - Skywatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2

These purchases will come in on or under budget and give you time to gain experience in astronomy before upgrading in the future. This scope can be swapped between the EQ3-2 mount and any other mount that accepts dovetail fitting bars (including the Skywatcher EQ5 and the Synscan mounts).

Good luck and happy stargazing!

Hehe well I have to say that does free up a lot of money and it's one of the ones I've been comparing on that website anyway. Leaves extra for the little bits like the red light and eye pieces... Is there any major benefit photography wise to get a EQ5 from the start? If theres not much then I may agree with you and start looking at prices for lights and maps.

Sadly I've not done any research into eyepieces just yet so thats my next goal... Yes I have been on here researching all day =D Gotta love days off!

The basic setup already includes camera connection. The scope comes with two EPs and a 2x barlow so has a total of four magnifications from 30x-150x (more than adequate given the viewing conditions from the UK). The only other EP you should consider is a mid-power one in the range 15-20mm. A set of planetary and lunar filters wouldn't go amiss (especially lunar).

Have you seen the following thread? http://stargazerslounge.com/primers-tutorials/37998-primer-choosing-telescope.html

That was a good thread. So far I've learnt so much. Going to look at prices for the eye piece that you just recommended and the filters.

Even when I do get a scope I'll be spending hours just learning to set it up and how to use it never mind the difference. But at least if I get a shortlist of equipment / resources that will help I can slowly keep adding them and buying them over the coming weeks / months.

Hey I would be interested in knowing the price you'd sell it for and how old.

I saw the DPS model in my attempt at research. What is the difference compared to the standard 150P? Also is this without a mount?

Greatly appreciated!

Archived