Slugs!

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Funny thread guys :)

If you want a solution to slugs that doesnt leave you with half dead or half drwoned writhing slimeballs all over the place, simply use a slug pellet based on Ferric Phosphate.

The slugs eat the bait, and then go away and die in their hidey hole. The pellets are blue and so not seen as a food source for birds, and used properly they are not harmful to other wildlife, unlike the old metaldehyde pellets. They are showerproof too.

The pellets work a treat, we use them to control slugs on our hosta beds at the garden centre, and I sell 100's of packets a year. They retail around £5.99.

But dont forget that the winter is coming, no slug in its right mind comes out when it is cold! :)

Here's a link to the product, there are three brands on the market at present.

http://www.vitax.co.uk/index.php/area/pest-control/slug-control-2/slug-death-xl/

Cheers

Tim

I would definitely avoid using slug pellets unless they are environmentally safe, wildlife such as hedgehogs and birds will be poisoned if they eat the slugs.

Technically this is true, but the real problem lies with incorrect use of the product.

Pellets should be used very sparingly. Thankfully the newer variants are much safer than the old metaldehyde products. Still should be used as directed though.

What is wrong with stamping on them anyway? :) If you wear flat soled shoes you can start squeezing them from one end until the front end swells enormously before bursting. Using this method you can spray slug entrails over a wide radius. :)

Pellets should be used very sparingly. Thankfully the newer variants are much safer than the old metaldehyde products. Still should be used as directed though.
is usually the case Tim.

as for stamping on them, well I have stumbled around in the dark, as we do when out observing, and a few have not made it home that night, I am always thanked by our plants for that :)

As mentioned, I work at a garden centre. We move large numbers of plants around manually, picking them up by the pots.

Every now and again your thumb will go right into a big fat juicy slug. It takes ages to get the slime off!

Thanks for the additional postings (except Psychobilly of course, eurgh!), still on track to use copper tape, perhaps with a bit of salt if the slugs gang up on me (although her indoors might object to the Maldon sea salt being liberally spread around the garden, but needs must!). Thanks again chaps.

Having sailed in regattas at Maldon and having seen what goes overboard, just might reduce your wife's valuation of Sea Salt.:rolleyes:

::

We've also sailed all round the east coast Wrinkly so I know what's in it :glasses2:, but it tastes fine despite that!

(although her indoors might object to the Maldon sea salt being liberally spread around the garden, but needs must!).
:rolleyes:

She need not worry, winter is nearly here and the council will soon be delivering gritty salty stuff to a yellow bin beside your nearest hill ;)

Mind u, she wont like what happens to all her flowers when the salty run-off from your patch gets to them although the beetroot and cabbages wont mind too much !

So, stick to copper like Uncle Malcolm said LOL!:glasses2::D

Malcolm.

In this garden I have killed thousands of slugs and snails. But you never get rid of them. Salt, slug bait nails them that venture out but not those that don't. Plant a few hostas and they'll go there. Better still, plant hostas in neighbours gardens. No point throwing them over the fence. It appears they have a memory and can find their way back up to 100m away!!! Why waste beer on snails? You have to live with them.

Archived