Observation Planning Software

Planning software tends to tell me what is up there, what it doesn't do is that into account the house and a tree or two that blocks things.

I usually simply determine which constellation has a decent view and then read a book to see what is in it.

Later as things rotate I may select something else to search through or return to a few previously visited and known items to remind myself.

Piece of paper and a little preliminary work tends to be pretty good.

Hi Simon,

I use Nexstar Observer List (just put NSOL into a search engine and it's usually the first on the list). This is freeware for use with Celestron goto scopes (it can communicate with the scope and you can work through the list, with the software moving the scope to your next target) but it might be worth a look. You can build lists yourself, automatically sort them in the order they will appear on a given date. You can apply filters to show only what's visible from your location. The resulting list can be displayed or exported to a file (it includes object names and co-ordinates, etc). There are also loads of pre-installed lists to look through.

I appreciate you don't have a Celestron scope but there might be enough functionality for your needs.

Archived