NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Evostar 80ed ds pro reduced accessory version

spacebloke

Hello everyone,

I'm currently saving for a 80ed ds pro as a imaging scope.

I will not be using it for observing, just imaging. Would this be the one to get, or would I need the one with the diagonal?

Also, what else would I need for it (except the .85 reducer).

EVOSTAR-80ED DS PRO OTA (Reduced accessory version) 80mm (3.1") Telescope - Telescopes UK: Telescopes & Telescope Accessories in your only London shop

Cheers, Stuart

Personally, I went for the full package, its nice to have the case to store it and theres room for the t-ring and reducer in there too plus a couple of other bits. Also, Flo are now doing a package on the 100ED Pro for the same price I paid for the 80ED Pro with the reducer. Worth looking at.

Hi PhoenixRising, the only reason I was going to get the 80ed was because I have read that it is a lot easier to guide compared to the 100ED.

But the FLO 100ED package looks great, especially with the reducer.

Does anyone have any experience of these to scopes and could give me some input?

The 80ED uses FPL-53 Glass & the WO 72 uses FPL-51 (some of the finest scopes use this stuff, so don't think it's inferior), the blue channel on the WO 72 has more bloat. Even though you might have to change the focuser on the ED80, depending what type of load your going to use on it, you really can't go wrong with this scope. Its really good value for Money & Performance, especially the whole outfit kit.

Where else on the WO 72, you'll have to buy some tube rings, finderscope, diagonal & a dovetail, to replace that silly L-Shaped Shoe & off course you've got to contend with that horrible DDG focuser.

With the ED80 & a Televue 0.8x Reducer/Flattener you'll be imaging @ F6 (without reducer = F7.5)

With the Skywatcher Reducer it will be F6.37

The Televue Reducer on the WO 72 will give a focal ratio of F4.8 (without reducer = F6)

Nadeem.

To be honest, I've not used the 100ED, but the 80ED's a pleasure to use with the reducer. I did have to tighten the focuser up though to hold my SLR in place properly. And the locking screws on these things are a waste of time in my opinion as they just push your carefully aligned focus out. Having said all that, it'd take something special for me to sell this scope.

It looks like the 80ed is the better scope to have then. I currently have a 6.3 focal reducer for my 6se which I'll need to change for a .85 reducer for a 80ed (I put a ad in the swap section if anyone's got one;)

It might be possible that I could push the budget a little more, which would include the WO megrez 90. How do these fair against the skywatcher counterparts?

Archived