Mounting 2 Finderscopes on a Mak 127?

I hope someone will be able to offer some advice / suggestions....

My Skywatcher Mak 127 came with a 6 x 30 right angle finderscope with which I had some difficulty in locating targets - so I bought myself a Rigel MRF red dot finder which I have found a great help.

ScopeTeknix (MRF) Multi LED Reticule Reflex Finder on quick release foot for Orion, Sky Watcher, Helios etc

In my general researches I have discovered some folk have both a red dot AND an optical finderscope in order to get the best of both worlds.

Scope N Skies offer the two following finderscope mounts which should fit together to enable the fitting of the MRF 'scope.

ScopeTeknix ScopeTeknix Quick Release finder mounting shoe

ScopeTeknix ScopeTeknix Universal mounting plate for finders with two hole mounting base

Has anyone with a MAK 127 tried this combination, is it helpful and if so where did they find it best to position the second finderscope?

Many thanks in anticipation.

Robin

I can under stand people having a telrad or rigel finder and optical finder but I doubt that a standard RDF and optical finder would be of much advantage TBH. I would guess in this case you would be better having one or the other ???? That's just MO as fixing another base to the MAK may mean disassembly of the OTA. While it can be done it's not something I would go out of my way to do if it could be avoided.

I've found an RDF and optical finder useful together when imaging with a webcam. The RDF can get you close to a target and then the optical finder can be used to centre it as the webcam field of view is often too small to be useful for locating anything.

For exactly those reasons I've considered fitting both to my 127 Mak. In another thread I believe someone suggested using double-sided adhesive foam pads to mount a second shoe (probably for the RDF as the optical finder will be heavier and needs to be more accurate). I just haven't found a second shoe at a price I'm willing to pay yet.

James

If I was to do this I would buy 2 x female mount, (same as on the 127)and 1 x male. Get a short piece of aluminium about 3"x1"x ¼" fit the two female mounts to one side and the male to the other.

Slot the male into the 127 mount and your addional finders to the other two. Hope that makes sense.

I certainly wouldn't drill into the OTA or dismantle it. Alternatively, some 3M 4611F VHB Double Sided Tape.

A big thank you to all who have shown interest and contributed ideas!!

I have gone for the Scope N Skies option:-

ScopeTeknix ScopeTeknix Quick Release finder mounting shoe

ScopeTeknix ScopeTeknix Universal mounting plate for finders with two hole mounting base

The two together should provide a removable fixture to the OTA onto which I can mount the RDF red dot finder (SNS confirmed this - and the adhesive should not damage the tube if ever I need to remove it) and be an effective and easy solution.

I am thinking that I shall mount the RDF at the corrector plate end of the tube for easy viewing - but I shall have a dummy run before I stick it on.

I am hoping that the 2 finder scope arrangement will improve my target locating skills - we shall see!!

Robin

Just a quick update and a note to be careful if you go down this route!!:-

The two mounting brackets have arrived and fit together very well.

I test fitted the mount base (which has self adhesive pads) to the scope very carefully having noticed that the screws holding the finder bracket to the base might just catch on the scope body and scratch it. I am pleased I did!! - The protruding screws would have damaged the tube!!

I have got around the problem by shimming the two parts with a carefully cut piece of rigid cardboard to provide the neccessary clearance for the fixing screws. This arrangement has also improved the rigidity of the mount holder as the original metal to metal contact was capable of shifting slightly if knocked.

Robin

Hi Robin,

I'd be interested how you get along with the combo. I have a RDF on my 127 Mak, and am interested in adding a finderscpoe.

Jason

Jason,

I've just taken delivery of a Skywatcher 9x50 RACI finderscope which should work well with my red dot. (Excellent service from Warehouse Express)

I am also expecting some tube rings in the next week or so in order to be able to rotate the tube so that both finders can be on top of the scope for comfortable viewing.

Once these arrive I will experiment with where to attach the red dot finder and once sorted let you have some feedback.

Cheers

Robin

I have found a similar problem with my Celestron Nexstar SLT 127. Since I got it I do find the red dot finder very helpful, but even on the lowest setting it obliterates fainter stars while I am trying to position the scope on them.

Don't know if a cross hair finderscope would be any better?

I have found a similar problem with my Celestron Nexstar SLT 127. Since I got it I do find the red dot finder very helpful, but even on the lowest setting it obliterates fainter stars while I am trying to position the scope on them.

Don't know if a cross hair finderscope would be any better?

Malc,

I am not sure which red dot finder you have but I fitted a high density filter to mine to reduce the "obliteration" effect - works a treat!!

See the link below for more:-

http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/152744-gso-mrf-multi-led-findertoo-bright.html

It might give you some ideas.

Cheers

Robin

Archived