Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

making my own electric focusser

chemtom24

just wondering how people make their own electric focusser? ive seen a thread about a servo motor somewhere but i cant find it, but that looks the easiest to me - manually controlling from a distance to eliminate shake etc.

what would i need for this?

thanks,

tom

thanks bizi, replied. the thread I saw had somehtign liek 2 servo motors connected together, with one end attached to the focuser, so when you manually turned one motor, the other one automatically moved and turned the focuser with it.

anyone heard of anythign liek that?

Ah! that one!! Its dead simple you just convert two servo's to continuous rotation (see item sent) and connect them with a flexible wire. As you turn the one in your hand it makes enough power to make the other (attached to the scope) turn as well. Never made one and I don't know how well it works.

thanks bizi, replied. the thread I saw had somehtign liek 2 servo motors connected together, with one end attached to the focuser, so when you manually turned one motor, the other one automatically moved and turned the focuser with it.

anyone heard of anythign liek that?

That sounds just the thing. I have heard of such things - many years ago. I think they were powered by 400Hz power. I know how they work but not where you might get the hardware.

I'm thinking of trying a small low voltage DC motor and gearbox to drive the focuser, when I get around to it. The sort of motor/gearbox sold by Maplin. But that's probably months off. I have an observatory to build before then, as well as work on the house (window frames, painting etc.)

AHA :) thats the one peter! :(

my mate has given me a parts list for an electric switched motor, gonna give that one a bash, only costing 4 quid including delivery!

if it works il post a thread about it :)

thanks everyone

tom

Archived